Rescuing Film

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Howard Bentley

Rescuing Film

Post by Howard Bentley »

Hi - I read with interest the article Rescuing Film by Doug Collender in the latest magazine - December 2015. I would like to investigate purchasing the kit he mentions but I can find no trace of it following extensive web searches. I am not clear whether this was assembled by Doug himself or a kit that can be purchased. Please could Doug or anyone else point me in the right direction?

Many thanks

Howard
tom hardwick

Re: Rescuing Film

Post by tom hardwick »

Me too. A whole article on the fitting and use of this interesting piece of kit, but no mention of a maker's name, website, or availability. Please Doug, come put us out of our misery. I do a lot of film transfers and am very interested to learn more.

tom.
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

May I butt in? Don't know the answer but had problems with super 8 film yesterday which wouldn't hold the frames in the gate due to sprocket hole damage and I remembered Tom saying he played the film backwards when this was the case. Not being able to use manual threading so as to reverse the direction I put a leader on the end, twisted the film side to side and projected it the usual way. So it played upside down and reversed side to side and projector needed refocussing but it looks OK and fortunately there was only 50 feet of it so it shouldn't take long to correct in the computer. Is that how you go about it, Tom?
Peter Copestake
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I thought I'd replied Peter, sorry.
Indeed, I've had to resort to playing ciné film backwards so that the projector's claw engages with the undamaged part of the substrate's perforation. I've been able to manually thread my dusk gauge Eumig so didn't need to go through the convolutions you've had to.

For this to work and give you a stable projected image your projector really needs to be a sprocket drive version, where toothed sprockets above and below the gate give the claw mechanism as little work to do as possible.

On the timeline it's a simple matter to reverse the direction of travel and change the speed from the 16.7 fps to 18 or 24.

tom.