WIN WORD PROBLEM.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

WIN WORD PROBLEM.

Post by Roy1 »

I HAVE AN ANNOYING PROBLEM WITH USING WIN. WORD 2007. When I try to write a letter using this programme on WIN.7. I can do everything I want except alter the spacing between the lines of printing. I can't get the space below 2 lines of space. This results in a full A4 page to write a short letter and looks odd. I've tried clicking every I can see but it makes no difference. Anybody know how to alter the spacing between lines? I would be grateful if they would tell me.
Dave Watterson

Re: WIN WORD PROBLEM.

Post by Dave Watterson »

Right-click on the words and from the menu which appears, choose PARAGRAPH
A panel of settings comes up and on the right near the bottom of the panel is the section where you choose the gaps between lines.

You can also use the FORMAT menu on the top line of any Word7 document to choose PARAGRAPH.

In later versions of Word with the "ribbon" interface ... use the HOME menu. The third block of options from the left includes PARAGRAPH, Click the little grey arrow beside that word and the panel of options appears.

Those are one-off solutions. For long term purposes you need to modify the NORMAL paragraph style.

In early versions of Word go to the FORMAT menu on the top line. (You may have to click the little arrow at the foot of the options to see all of them.) Choose STYLES AND FORMATTING.
A panel appears on the right listing the standard types of paragraph "Heading 1, Heading 2 etc" Click on NORMAL and click the little arrow beside it.
From the menu which appears there choose MODIFY.
A panel pops up mid-screen which offers many options. There are little icons for different gaps between lines. Choose what you want, tick the ADD TO TEMPLATE box bottom left, then click OK.

On later versions of Word with the "ribbon" interface use HOME. Look along the second line of the screen to find NORMAL and right-click on it. From the menu which appears choose MODIFY. That gives you the same options as above with icons for spacing.

Just while we are on WORD topics ... is your copy set to ENGLISH or AMERICAN ??? By default it uses American spelling.

On older versions use the TOOLS menu and choose LANGUAGE.
From the pop-up menu choose SET LANGUAGE. A list of languages appears. Make sure that ENGLISH(UK) is ticked and at the bottom of the panel make sure both tick boxes are empty. Now when you spell-check using the ABC icon or by pressing function key 7 you will get the British spelling!

On later versions with the "ribbon" interface click REVIEW
There click LANGUAGE - if necessary click the small arrow below it and set LANGUAGE PREFERENCES and SET PROOFING LANGUAGE.

Good luck!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks Dave for your quick response and vital info. which I will study and hopefully understand. What suprises me is that there does not appear to be a panel labelled HELP in the word programme.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks again DAVE. I have managed to follow your directions and have achieved single line spacing on the text and have selected English language UK. Thanks again