Editing Software Upgrade

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Durnall

Editing Software Upgrade

Post by Peter Durnall »

Hi Folks just looking for a bit of advice. I need to upgrade my editing software from Premiere CS3 as I have a new camera. I don't like the Idea of the Adobe Cloud as its seems expensive for an amateur like myself. I would have preferred to stick with Adobe as I have used many versions of Premiere for a number of years. I can buy a legal copy of CS6 but at over £500 it seems a tad expensive. I am now looking at Sony Vegas Pro 13 at around £350, having never used Sony software although I have owned a number of their cameras, can anyone give me their experiences of this Editing package and any pro's or cons

Thanks

Peter
ned c

Re: Editing Software Upgrade

Post by ned c »

http://www.moviestudiozen.com/

Hi Peter, I have recently set up Vegas Pro as my main edit software having moved from Final Cut 7 so a change of computer as well. I am using v12 and the differences from v13 are not great. The link above will take you to a site where the software is reviewed. Also, if you visit the Sony Creative Software site they are currently offering an instructional DVD (available in PAL) for v12 for $30. I have ordered a copy.

My experience so far has been positive, Vegas Pro loads AVCHD files directly without the need to transcode (as was the case with FCP) you can also load any format/standard to the timeline. The titling capability is a huge improvement over FCP. No serious negatives compared with FCP, I do not know how it compares with Premiere. I also have Sound Forge and although the sound management in Vegas Pro is good the ease of exporting/importing between the two programs is excellent. I am on a learning curve at present so many of the problems are mine rather than the software.

Hope that helps

ned c
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://library.creativecow.net/tutorial ... egasbasics

Another source of info on Sony Vegas Pro. Have a look at Sony Vegas Studio, obviously not as capable as the Pro version but still a very good program, there is a package available that includes the edit program plus Sound Forge Studio and DVD Studio, very good value,

ned c,
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Edius Neo is £130 from DVC

It does all you need in an interface very similar to Premiere

Download the trial Edius 7 which is the full version and so handles high end formats, Neo edits AVCHD natively on a suitable PC.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Long time user of Sony Vegas (Vegas Pro 13 via Vegas 7 from Vegas Movie Studio 6).

When I abandoned Pinnacle Studio after 6 months I looked very carefully at Vegas and Premiere. The Vegas interface/workflow I found immediately understandable. The Premiere interface got in the way. I believe this is a very personal thing. If you like the Premiere interface, you may well not like the Vegas one. From what col says Edius might be better if you like the Premiere interface (though how he can claim it does everything you need without knowing what you need, I don't know!)

Movie Studio quite probably does everything you need. I probably use the stuff available in Vegas Pro less than 2% of my editing time. I'd strongly advise buying Movie Studio (and if you time it right, upgrading to Pro is often cheaper than just buying Pro in the first place) and get one of the versions with the "additional" stuff (Sound Forge additional FX, training DVD or whatever they've got going).

For differences between Pro and Movie Stuido see here: http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro/compare
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

+1 for Movie Studio 12.

I 'upgraded' from Premiere Elements 2.0 (yes, I know - there is a big gap in between) to what was Movie Studio 10 and moved on from there, and I find the interface very intuitive and don't often feel the need to refer to the manual. I haven't upgraded to MS13 because MS12 does everything I need and I wasn't keen on what looked like a bit of a 'dumbed down' interface with big buttons for touch screens and Windows 8. Plus there's quite a bit of a price difference between 12 and 13.

MS10 (and 11 and 12) have imported everything I've thrown at them without issue, from any camera system or format.

MS12 is a tad over £30 on A*mazon for the suite, including Sound Forge which is a more than capable stand alone audio editor. I like the integration between the two programs - click 'Open Copy in Audio Editor' in MS12 and this instantly opens Sound Forge, allowing in-depth changes to be made to the duplicate audio file, then simply close Sound Forge and MS12 updates with the new audio file automatically. In fact, MS12 allows you to select any audio editor you want to do this, so if you use and prefer Audacity for example, you can just buy MS12 and link it to Audacity in the preferences. MS12 actually has some great built-in audio processing tools as well (gates, limiters, EQ and special effects etc) so I only tend to use Sound Forge when getting really in depth and technical!

Definitely worth a try - Sony used to allow a downloadable 30 day free trial of the program which was completely unrestricted, so you could use and abuse it to your heart's content to see if it works for you, then simply buy it from them and they give you the serial number to unlock it forever. That's how I did it, just save the downloaded file in case you need to reinstall it. Simples.

Good luck, Peter :-)
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Depend how sophisticated you want your movies to be. If you make movies as most hobbiest do, then Movie studio is excellent and delightfully cheap with literally hundreds of Youtube free tutorials. I have it on one PC as a standby. I use mainly Adobe CS5 on another PC and I am learning CS6 on another PC. But if those PC,s using Adobe were suddenly unusable I would quite happily use Vegas again.
Peter Durnall

Post by Peter Durnall »

Hi Guys
Many thanks for your replies. I have now download trials of Sony Vegas pro 13 and Edius pro 7. I can't find a trial for Premiere CS6 only on the cloud and I aren't very keen on that.
My first impressions are as follows.
Vegas: lots of good points but I don't like the interface at all. It will sync with my Sony HD tape player which is good as I may want to use some of my old 1080i footage from HD tapes. The filters are poor compared to the Adobe I use now and as yet I have had difficulty exporting a project which I am sure can be sorted. Also the Sony loads very quickly
Edius: Lovely interface probably the best I've ever seen ,looks fantastic on my 32" monitor The first Problem is I can't capture from my Sony tape machine although the software operates the player OK.I also can't find a way of importing more than 1 clip at a time from my files although I have been through the online guide, and the clip doesn't go in to the bin until you do it manually which seems a bit odd. I exported my little test movie very easily and it plays fine so at present it beats Vegas for ease of use.
The filters of Edius are good but the sound editing features of both programmes are not as good as Adobe from my first attempts, and as I am a Wildlife filmmaker this is a very important feature to me. All in all I am really enjoying trying out these new programs and their features and have another 30 days of play! I will update you at a later date.