Adobe Creative Cloud

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ADBest

Adobe Creative Cloud

Post by ADBest »

I have recently downloaded updates for my Adobe CS5 applications and find that, (somehow), I have acquired ‘Adobe Creative Cloud’. This doesn’t appear to do anything useful but I thought I had better check before I uninstall it.

It regularly nags me to install updates but I remain uneasy as to how I acquired it and what it does.

Arthur
Peter B

Re: Adobe Creative Cloud

Post by Peter B »

Creative Cloud is Adobe's new way of selling Photoshop etc. It's the same software as CS5, but unlike earlier versions it's not a 'buy it once and use it forever' product, with Creative Cloud you pay a monthly subscription and if you stop paying the sub, you lose access to the software! On the plus side it updates regularly so you don't need to keep buying new versions to get all the latest features. But unless you're a professional who uses CC for their work you might find the monthly sub too much, and apparently Adobe have already increased the monthly subscription at least once since introducing Creative Cloud.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I wonder if you have inadvertantly downloaded a trial version of Creative Cloud? The last version of Photoshop that was available to buy was CS6. To the annoyance of many of their customers Adobe decided, with very little warning, that future versions of Photoshop would only be available as the Creative Cloud on a monthly subscription basis and as far as I know there have been no further updates to either CS5 or CS6 since that time. Adobe have been offering CC at a significantly reduced rate of just under £9 a month for some time now (presumably for a limited contract period) but this may only be for existing customers. I don't know what the normal rate is but I think when it was launched it was around £18 - £19 a month.

Photoshop Elements, Premiere Elements and Lightroom can still be purchased outright from various outlets including Adobe.
Brian Saberton
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Thanks. I've un-installed it.

Arthur