Editing Software

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John Roberts

Re: Editing Software

Post by John Roberts »

I wouldn't have thought so, Ned, but I don't know for definite. I've been using Movie Studio since v10 and none of the projects of later versions are backwards compatible with earlier ones, and for example v11 projects have to be 'converted' to work in v12, which then means they no longer work in v11. Subtle changes in the plug-ins between versions seems to be the main issue, I know I have 'lost' a lot of settings for plug-ins when changing versions because the plug-ins have been altered/upgraded so I imagine the same thing will happen between Studio and Pro versions, even of the same series.

Maybe someone will be able to tell you for sure :)

John
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Generally one can move projects from earlier releases within version (ie from Movies Studio x to to Movie Studio x+n, or from Vegas Pro x to Vegas Pro x+n) although there may be issues with plug-ins as John suggests. (John, if you want to save settings for Sony's built-in effects, you should look into the free "Preset Manager" utility on their site)

Movie Studio and Vegas Pro projects are not compatible, however:
You can open a Movie Studio project (a .vf file) within Vegas Pro and save it as a Vegas Pro project (a .veg file).

So, in a nutshell, you can move "forwards" or "upwards" but not the other way.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

Thanks Tim, I'll look into that. I'm sure this info will help Ned as well.

Most of the plug-ins seem to be retained in later versions (new ones are added obviously) but some change slightly in their operation or disappear altogether. In particular the image stabiliser in v11 is superior to that of v12 and none of the settings will transfer forwards, as I found to my cost on my last film - I originally edited on v11 then upgraded to v12 after it was complete, then came to re-edit the film, loaded it into v12 (after being met by the stock warning that the file needed to be 'upgraded' to work in v12) and changed a few things. Then at a regional competition, on a huge screen, I saw all my image stabilised shots had lost their stabilisation. Investigation revealed that the IS plug-in had changed between versions and settings were not compatible. How I didn't spot it I don't know, I probably just 'assumed' it would be OK or I was concentrating on a different part of the re-edited film...

I still have v11 installed on the PC and use it solely for the IS plug-in! Sometimes upgrading doesn't always mean improving :D

Aside from the visual aspect, I have to sing the praises of Movie Studio's handling of the audio side of things. Sound Forge is a great program and the ability to click on an audio clip on the timeline of MS12 to edit it, which automatically opens Sound Forge is very useful. Make changes then simply close Sound Forge and the audio clip is saved as a new version on the hard drive and automatically updated in Movie Studio. I use a couple of other programs but extremely rarely - Audacity I use purely for the 'Noise Removal' tool, which MS12 doesn't have. I don't use Audacity for anything else because I don't find its interface particularly user-friendly.

Both Sound Forge and MS10,11,12 can use many .VST plug-ins, which are effects and processors used in music production programs such as Cubase. Occasionally one can find other audio tools as .VST files, such as PPM, VU or K-system audio level meters, and these can be added to MS12 and displayed in a separate window when mixing audio to ensure levels are spot on or even broadcast standard.

Not bad for a complete software suite costing less than £30 (MS12)

Hope this helps :)
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Tim and John. I am presently going through the trauma of completely changing my edit set up. Having used FCP from Version 2 until Suite 3 (FCP7) I finally have to move on. FCX does not appeal, the early version had too many issues and the interface not to my liking. Premiere has taken to the cloud and Avid going through a convulsion whilst it makes up its mind how to treat its users, not very well by the look of things. I have had Vegas Studio on the office PC for many years and currently at v12, I like it and have an upgrade to Pro. So; a new Windows PC, the Mac retired and a new adventure begins (its OK my hair is all ready white)..

Col; I downloaded the trial version of Edius and it looks fine but my experience with Vegas Studio (admittedly limited) won out. However; should Sony decide to do something stupid with Vegas (go to the cloud, have subscription support etc) then Edius is the last outpost!

Comments greatly appreciated.

ned c
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Just commenting on the audio aspect raised by John, I must admit I never found much of a need to use Sound Forge Audio Studio (the version that comes with the Movie Studio suite). This is mainly down to the very good facilities already built into Vegas - a variety of EQs, compression, delays and reverbs, noise gate. I'm not sure (as it's a while since I used it) whether it's available in Movie Studio but Vegas Pro allows you to route audio to different busses and mix those busses separately. Here Vegas really shows it's roots as an audio package. If they'd add MIDI recording and VST instruments I'd have as much as I'd need to create music within Vegas (I currently use Acid which has a similar but different interface - which i find quite frustrating).

Sound Forge Pro in the other hand was a really useful addition as it adds several things not in Studio - in particular the fantastic Sony Noise Reduction plug-in. I probably wouldn't have bothered with it as a standalone, but as part of the Pro Suite (which i got as an upgrade deal) it represented very good value for money.

But then again we need a reality check: we're talking hundreds rather than tens of pounds :)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it