Maverick and FCP7

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Maverick and FCP7

Post by ned c »

I have upgraded my Mac operating system to Maverick with a strange affect on FP7. I have lost the ability to import AVCHD via the Log and Transfer setting. I have a transcoder that does it but this is outside FCP and adds a process. Anyone else upgraded with unusual results?

The writing is on the wall for FCP7 so where to from here? I have tried and had problems with FCPX, I don't like the interface, I have v5 of Media Composer but am suspicious of Avid's intentions as they seem to be headed towards the cloud and have had their listing removed from the Stock Exchange and are losing money. Is there a PC in my future? (I do have a PC for office work with Vegas Pro 12 which I like and is easy to use).

Comments/suggestions please.

ned c
Michael Slowe

Re: Maverick and FCP7

Post by Michael Slowe »

Ned, I think that you know that I've done all my editing (since I left film) on a Mac and with Media 100. Boris bought Media 100 about seven years ago and has kept it well up to date although there are suspicions that he may not do so for ever. It will take almost any codec (including 4K) and is by far the most intuitive system to operate, with Boris FX built in. Or, and this is what most people will advise, go to Adobe Premiere Pro. I imagine they do a Mac version, I'm not certain. Mavericks is another hot potato, there are bound to be horror stories, I'm still on Snow Leopard, 10.8.6 I think.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Ned, are you turning to the dark side?

Premiere is available for a Mac but only the subscription only version. Older cs6 with perpetual license is available.

Have you considered boot loader, win7 and software like Edius?
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
ned c

Post by ned c »

Yes Col; I have to consider where I am going from here. FCPX did a lot of damage to Apple's reputation as far as I am concerned, software that was not backward compatible and lacked a major feature that made it impossible to easily send files to the sound engineer I work with but then added in a later version. Clearly this was all being done by people who were not film makers. As the OS develops it will eventually leave FCP7 behind and unuseable.

Premiere is not an option as I dislike the subscription system which seems to be more about Adobe's cash flow than the user.

At NAB I asked at the Sony booth if there will be a Mac version of Vegas as they have introduced a Mac version of Sound Forge; it all went very quiet so perhaps there is a Mac Vegas in the future. The change from FCP7 is not urgent but necessary so I can wait a bit.

Is your spec for an editing Win based system current? To add to my pain I have a stack of Firewire external HDDs on which a lot of legacy material is stored.

I will take a serious look at Edius as it gets good reviews. What is your experience? Is it reasonably intuitive?

Thanks

ned c
ned c

Post by ned c »

Michael; I did buy Media 100 when the sky fell on us FCP users and the other NLE suppliers all offered special deals. I have never been able to get it to work after lengthy correspondence with Boris and talking to their expert at NAB. They have sent new access codes etc. In the end I gave up and am also concerned at how much longer it will be supported although at my age that should't be a concern!

ned
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Very strange.....................I just spent 1/2 hour typing an answer to your queries clicked on Submit and nothing.

Anyway short version.

PC sticky is up to date.

Check your Vegas PCs specs and see if it meets the Edius minimum, if it does download and try the trial version for 30 days.

Subscribe to the GV Edius forum and also their University section where there are a mass of video tutorials.

Edius is rock solid and easy to use, easy to migrate to and will Edit anything to use there marketing term.

Good luck
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks Col; I will report progress (or otherwise)

ned c