Rolling titles on CS5

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Rolling titles on CS5

Post by Roy1 »

I am having a problem with making a rolling title do what I want it to do, and I hope someone can put me right. It might be me (usually is) or the titling programme is not working right. When I have finished putting the text in the title, no matter what number I put in the pre-roll box, even if I put no number in, the result on playback is always the same, it shows at least 10 seconds of black screen before the roll starts. If I extend the title clip on the timeline to make the roll slower, then the black screen at the beginning is progressively longer. Any suggestions welcome, Is it me or the titler not working correctly?
Kevin Pritchard

Re: Rolling titles on CS5

Post by Kevin Pritchard »

I've never bothered with the pre-roll to be honest, I've always left it blank and set it to start off screen and end off screen. Then adjusted the speed by extending/shortening the clip.

This may sound silly but have you checked you haven't got a 10 secs slither of footage hidden at the end of your film, or left a gap on the timeline between the last clip and your end titles by accident? its easily done. Maybe expand the timeline and have a look and try a ripple delete. If that is not the problem maybe as a work around you could put your titles on a layer above your footage and keyframe the opacity of the titles to remove the unwanted black?

or have a look at this Rolling titles in CS5 tutorial, see if anything else springs to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZjwPqyFAas

Cheers,

Kev
Chichester Film and Video Makers.

https://www.youtube.com/No33films
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

KEVIN. There is nothing else on the timeline. I start a new project just to test out making the rolling title. I've looked at the various tutorials my Creative Cow on You Tube and followed the instructions completely and it ends up with what I have described. I also have a copy of Class room in a book and that shows you how to do things and tells you what it should do, with no cure for when things go wrong. Thanks for you interest.
Kevin Pritchard

Post by Kevin Pritchard »

Roy,

I've just tried it in CS6 and with these settings. I did not move any text, change font or anything else.

type - Roll
start off screen - ticked
end off screen - ticked
all other options set to zero

I had 10 frames of black before the title scrolled, but not 10 seconds and it worked fine. You probably already know this, but pre-roll, ease in, ease out and post-roll all work in frames, so setting pre roll to 50 for example will give you 2 seconds if you shot at 25fps.

That is a strange problem to have, I'll keep thinking on this one unless anyone else has any ideas.

Kev
Chichester Film and Video Makers.

https://www.youtube.com/No33films
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

KEVIN. The settings you mention were the very first I tried and the result was 10 SECONDS of black before scroll started and the speed was too fast to read comfortably so I extended the clip on the timeline and then the opening black screen was then 30 SECONDS before the scroll started. Funnily enough I can keep the stationary text on the screen after the scroll as long as I wish by entering the number of frames required in the post-roll box. Roy.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

I am not near my editing PC so cannot try this out myself, but try this as a possible work around.

Put your title on a new sequence where the title is static and the only clip.

Drop this new sequence on top of your movie sequence and use the effects>motion contols and keyframes to animate the title sequence.

If I want moving titles I tend to use After Effects to produce them rather than the title designer within PPro, over the iterations of Premiere there have been many problems with title designer and quite a lot related to using motion. It is inconsistent, as you have found, OK on some PC's and not on others.

Good luck.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

COL.Thanks for your input. I have managed to get a form of rolling title and it works ok but is limited to the amount of text I can use.
I make a normal still title in Premiere Pro titler and put on my message with only enough text to fill the titler screen. Then I open the roll settings and click onto roll and then click onto start off screen and click into post roll with 100 frames. This actually starts the scroll pretty quick and leaves the whole message on the screen for the time I set. I would have liked more text but I'll have to settle for what I have. Incidently other people on other forums have agreed with your opinion that Adobe's titler is a problem and inconsistent.
This surprises me when Adobe has been lauded as the best thing since sliced bread, I would have thought they would have solved the problem before launching new programmes, or at least solving the problem in a new programme upgrade. I am taking delivery of a new PC with CS6 and am hoping this titler problem won't be evident. My PC with CS5 on board I will use for general internet work as it is well protected and I will stop using the XP PC.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

Glad you are now sorted

The poor titling is why I use AE for anything other than statics with fade in and fade out
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb