Windows XP

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Windows XP

Post by Roy1 »

As microsoft is withdrawing support of XP in the next few days, I understand rightly or wrongly that Miicrosoft security essentials will no longer be updated. A I am using Xp and the security essentials on one of my PC,s that PC could be unprotected against any new threats in the future. Can anyone advise on a efficient FREE virus and anti spyware programme. I have AVAST on another PC with Windows 7 which is good protection. I am wondering if AVAST will also remove protection from XP. I tried to download it on the XP PC but it also downloaded Google Chrome which I don't want, and several other programmes which I don't want, so I took it off again. Any suggestions will be welcomed.
Dave Watterson

Re: Windows XP

Post by Dave Watterson »

Roy - this page has a lot of helpful information.
http://www.av-test.org/en/news/news-sin ... -xp-after/
Microsoft Extends the Provision of Its Security Essentials Support for XP until July 14th 2015

Basically all third-party anti-virus companies will support XP for at least another year.
They recommend switching from Internet Explorer to either Chrome or Firefox which will continue to update their protection.
They also recommend switching from Outlook for your emails to another system.

Personally I am using AVG free version on my old XP machine (I use a paid version on my Windows 7 machine.)
http://www.avg.com

BUT I am also experimenting with Ubuntu Linux on the old machine. Get a copy of PC Pro magazine's May issue for an article on how to do this.

I intend to keep the older machine off the internet as much as possible after 8th April.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Dave Watterson wrote:They also recommend switching from Outlook for your emails to another system.
That's Outlook EXPRESS, not Outlook (more than just pedantic, they are different products as I'm sure you are aware, Dave, but just in case others aren't ...)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. Thanks for the info. I read all the info. on the page you quoted and to be honest I am more confused than ever about what I should do. What would you do, would you continue with XP or install Win.7 and I wonder how long will Win 7 be supported.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

You can get Firefox from Mozilla where you can also download and install Thunderbird which is Mozilla's free e-mail programme.

I use it in preference to Outlook or Outlook Express.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks everyone who has replied. I have now installed the AVG free programme and it appears to be doing it's job without me having to lose any of the browsers at all. After only five minutes it has claimed to eliminate a threat, true or false I don't know.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Roy

I am glad AVG is working well.

The point about changing browser and and email programs is to move from Microsoft's Internet Explorer and Microsoft's Outlook Express because these too will not be updated in their XP versions. They will become targets for hacker attacks because so many people use them.

For example it is not much comfort to have an anti-virus system stop your computer from being crashed ... if someone hacks into your email ...
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. Thank you for your latest info. Which programmes should I use instead of Internet Explorer and Outlook express. I am not very technically minded when it comes to PC matters and would have to employ someone to install the new programmes. Would I still be able to use my Gmail Email address and also my main one which is a Talktalk email address?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Your email addresses are fine. All that you should consider changing is the program which reads them.

Since you have a gmail address, you could collect both google-mail and your TalkTalk mail using the google-mail system, which is constantly kept up to date. As you are nervous about such things, ask your techie friend to adjust googlemail to pick up and send your TalkTalk messages too. It is an easy change to make, but there is no point in getting yourself worried about it. Anyone technically able can do it for you very quickly.

As for browsers: for many years I have used Firefox as my main one.
That really is so easy to instal that you should try it.

1) Use your current browser to go to http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/ - just double-clicking on this link should get you there.
2) Scroll down the page a little until you see a large green button on the right inviting you to download the latest version. It is labelled: FREE DOWNLOAD English (US) . Windows
3) A screen appears with three numbered pictures of the program. Under each picture are the instructions.
4) Under picture 1 it shows you the automatic Windows warning message you get with any downloaded program. If you do not see that warning (I don't) look inthe instructions under the picture. The words "click here" are a link and if you click that the warning appears.
5) Click Run. It will download the program.
6) Internet Explorer (which you are still using at this point) may give a warning of its own, asking if you want to run the software, Click Run.
7) A large pop-up window shows the Firefox logo. It has a box marked "Make Firefox my default browser" which is ticked. Leave it ticked ... it means that anytime you click a link after today, Firefox will open to go the that website rather than Internet Explorer. The screen also invites you to click the install button on it. Do that.
8 ) A "sideways thermometer" shows green blobs filling up a line from left to right as the software instals. As soon as it has installed Firefox will start automatically. By the way there is often an invitation to get a newsletter emailed to you ... ignore that and do not fill in your email address.
9) Firefox will start and show you a fairly empty screen with a Google search bar in the middle.
10) Close Firefox. (Click the red box with a white diagonal cross on it at the top right of the screen.)
11) Internet Explorer will still be running so close that in the same way.
12) Look on your desktop for the Firefox logo of a fox curled round a globe. Double-click on that to start using Firefox.

------------
It reads much more complicated than it is to do it !
Every time it starts up Firefox checks to see if there is an updated version available and will instal that automatically.

Internet Explorer is still on your computer and can be used if you choose it specially. So you have not lost anything.

If you have a lot of Favorites stored in Internet Explorer you can import them to Firefox. Clear instructions are here https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/im ... t-explorer

Have fun!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. Thank you very much for the instructions. I will try downloading following your very clear procedure. Will keep my fingers crossed for success. I use this computer for all internet work. My otherr PC's are for editng only. One is with Win 7. and Adobe CS5 and Vegas 10 installed. Another one is only for transferring SVHS/VHS to DV via pinnacle/Adobe 6.5. Thanks again.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Excellent instructions Dave. Would you like to support some of my customers who could do with someone with that sort of clarity.
Or maybe you should make on-line tutorials - there is so much innacurate and poorly presented material out there.
Tim
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

I did state earlier that Thunderbird is email software made by Mozilla who make Firefox.

Download and set up Thunderbird instead of Express.

Following is the set up instructions from the TalkTalk website
.Follow the steps below to set up your TalkTalk email account in Mozilla Thunderbird:

Step 1 of 4: Open the software

Click the Start globe, and then select All Programs and Mozilla Thunderbird. Wait for Thunderbird to start the setup process.
If the setup screen doesn't open when you start Thunderbird, click the Tools menu and select Account Settings. Then click Account Actions and select Add Mail Account.
On the Mail Account Setup screen, enter your name, your TalkTalk email address and the password for the email account. Tick the Remember password box and then click Continue. Forgotten your password?

Step 2 of 4: Enter your settings

Thunderbird will automatically try to look up the email settings. Click the Manual config button on the bottom left of the window, as you need to enter these details yourself. Enter the following details:

Incoming: Select IMAP from the drop down list.
Incoming Server Hostname: mail.talktalk.net
Port: 143
SSL: None
Authentication: Normal password
Outgoing Server hostname: smtp.talktalk.net
Port: 587
SSL: StartTLS
Authentication: Normal password

Step 3 of 4: Advanced Settings

Click on the Advanced Config button in the bottom left of the screen, then:

Select Outgoing SMTP server from the left menu
Click the Edit button on the right.
Check your details match the following:
Server name: smtp.talktalk.net
Port: 587
Connection Security: None
Authentication method: Normal password
Click OK and OK again to confirm

Step 4 of 4: Set up Complete!

Your account should now be set up, and will check for mail at regular intervals.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Ditto my post re Dave:)
Tim
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. Thanks to your instructions I have downloaded Firefox OK. I'm not sure wether or not I am still using Outlook Express though. When I open up Talktalk mail it says at the top of screen Mail-Mozilla-firefox. I don't know if that is still using outlook express or not. How Can I tell?

COL> Thanks for the info. It's beyond me, I'll have to get someone to see to it. What I need is to be able to use my Talktalk mail address which is through AOL without using Outlook Express.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

It sounds as though you access your email from within a web browser window, please confirm if this is the case.

This is called webmail.

With webmail you can access it on any PC, just open the talktalk webmail login page, enter your email address and password and there is your mail

Gmail is also webmail.

The instructions I gave you may appear difficult but after downloading and installing a Thunderbird all you have to do is follow the instructions precisely.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.