Projecting onto a circular Screen

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
edin

Projecting onto a circular Screen

Post by edin »

I have a video project for a visitors centre that requires the image to be projected onto a 1metre diameter screen, that is surrounded by a circular brick wall to imitate a well, the projector is mounted 8 feet above the screen. The original video was made 15years ago using a 4:3 ratio and would be relatively easy to crop to a circular shape.

If I shoot the video in a 16:9 ratio in high definition, this causes several complications, of the size of mask to create when editing, the title save area, etc.

If you have any suggestions as to the best way forward to tackle the above please let me know.
Dave Watterson

Re: Projecting onto a circular Screen

Post by Dave Watterson »

Um ... it's a circle. The mask will be based on the height of the image, which is the same as it was on 4:3.

You could do the sums with projector and lens stats ... far simpler, if you can get access ... to shoot some footage with a vertical line ruled off into inches or centimetres (you could shoot a yard-stick), project that in the mock-up and note which numbers mark each side of the screen diameter. Then create your mask over the same footage, such that the clear area matches those numbers.

Anything within the clear circle should be safe for titles.

Or have I missed something in the question?