displaying video clips crashing PC

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

displaying video clips crashing PC

Post by Roy1 »

I am hoping that the technical wizards who post on this forum can make some suggestions as to a possible cure for my problem. Through no fault of mine, the switch on gear on my PC would no longer work because of a cable being snapped whilst a person was opening the case. I placed the actual switch after repairing the cable on the outside of the case and taped it in position. This has worked well for many months but finally I decided to have a new case.. An expensive cooler master case was chosen an a technical minded friend transfered everything from the old case to the new. That's when the trouble started. I can, using CS5, capture and play the HDV clips on the timeline and edit as usual with no bother. The trouble starts when I try to play the captured clips direct from the Hard drive holding the clips, I click onto play and the clips plays for a few seconds and then stop and a full screen announcement tells me that an error has been detected and windows is shutting down to save damage. When the PC has been closed down for a lengthy period the clips will play ok again for about 5 minutes and then crash. That makes me wonder if the graphics card is overheating? I would add that Standard Def clips play from the same harddrive with no problem at all. Before buying a new graphics card I would like to make sure that the problem lies with the card and could it of been damaged when transferring to the new case? Any suggestions in plain Engklish would be much appreciated.
col lamb

Re: displaying video clips crashing PC

Post by col lamb »

Roy

Sounds like there are probably some loose connections within the new case.

Pretty good choice of case in the Coolermaster, they are my second choice. I usually reccomend Lian Li cases as the ones I have used are all accessible without the use of a single screwdriver, in fact the only screws are those that secure the motherboard.

Take off the left hand panel, do not touch anything inside, boot up the PC and make sure that all the internal fans operate. You should have a fan built into the power supply, a fan on the main processor, and at least one case fan (mine has three case fans), the motherboard may also have fans built in over certain IC chips. Make sure all fans are working.

Power down the PC and wet a finger on your non dominant hand, place the wet finger on some bare metal of the case and leave it there, with your other hand gently push and wiggle each cable being carefull not to touch the mother board.

Boot up and see what happens.

If your friend has been a bit ham fisted he may have damaged some of the internals or shock damaged the hard drive.

If you still have problems open Explorer, select the hard drive where your problem files are located, right click over it and select properties, under one of the tabs you will find an option to error scan the drive, untertake this and again after it has finished re-boot and see how it goes.

Report back on your actions for the next thrilling installment ;- )
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Re: displaying video clips crashing PC

Post by Roy1 »

COL. Thanks for your reply. However I will let my friend follow up your directions, I might make a mess of it. However, I don't know if this is any good, but I have re captured the same shots on to the hard drive and now when I clip play onto the shots they play without the PC crashing but the display shows interference after a few seconds. Is pixilating the right word? As it doesn't obliterate the image I can manage. I just like to look at the clip before I transfer to the project panel. Once it is on the timline it plays perfectly.