Super 8 camera

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

Re: Super 8 camera

Post by col lamb »

I give up

You guys extolling cine are the very ones who wonder why The IAC is declining, it's no wonder you cannot see the trees

The very person we need to join, DOES NOT want to see stuck in the mud old timers going on about cine, they can do all they want on their iPhone, for the cost of the iMovie app

Go on someone ask...what's and app

Typed on my iPad mini, with full HD recording, editing and sound processing software in the device......?This is the present
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

It's about time you realised that the young people think they have no need of the IAC, and that's why it's declining along with the film and video clubs, most of the latter have tried desperately to enrol the youngsters, by trying to explain that even their video productions could do with editing. But the young have video clubs at most schools and they are probably better equipped to use video apps than people at clubs who are trying to teach them. The kids are happy with each other’s efforts and good luck to them if that’s what they want.
So stop trying to blame us old uns who remember the past but use the tools of the present for the decline in membership of the IAC and the clubs.. Perhaps you cine knockers have no film past to remember.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

History is History. As long as we have still got people alive who worked with this media the subject will always be talked about. Remember cine film will be talked about for many years, as we have one vital cine film in the world and many generations after us will say "WHAT WAS THAT MEDIA"?. The cine film is the shooting of President Kennedy
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Let us not get hot under the collar about this thread - especially at this time of year, when we celebrate expensive cards, shiny gifts, late deliveries, crowded shops, tawdry Christmas Markets, overheated spiced wine and a dozen mince-pies a day. And that darned partridge keeps hanging about in the pear tree ...

A few mentions of cine in one thread of this forum will not have much impact on potential members of IAC. (Indeed there seems to be some odd interest in the older medium among students, as was mentioned early on.) And yes, of course, the same artistic principles of shaping a movie in editing, considering lighting when shooting and getting the darned sound right remain the same no matter what the recording medium.

I share Col's concern that IAC sometimes seems slow to embrace change ... it is (a) British, (b) run by a committee and (c) dependent on the kindness of strangers ... well volunteers.

I wish we could accept films for BIAFF online, in memory sticks etc. But in effect the preliminary work for the contest all falls on one man, who has to fit it in alongside a demanding full-time job and other voluntary work for IAC. BUT we continue to stand out among world festivals for accepting a very wide range of formats, having no concerns about how the movies were orginated (cine / SD / HD / 4K) so long as we can see a standard DVD version of them. We do not restrict the age of film, its length or content. And we are among the very few that send written notes about the films to each entrant.

IAC embraces all non-commercial film makers, regardless of the medium they use, their talents or their track record.

Peace on Earth ...
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Dave. I'm sure that all of us share your sentiments about the IAC. But it is not only the IAC that appears to be slow to acccept change. This is Britain and most of our beloved institutions are slow to change. It's the British nature to hang on to what we've got. For instance look at the progress of the 3rd runway at Heathrow, it is thought that China will build 82 airports before we get round to building one extra runway. Ain't life grand. May I wish everybody in Video,Cine and whathaveyou a very happy Xmas and good film/video making in the new year.
ned c

Post by ned c »

When I started this thread I didn't imagine it would take off in so many directions.

Looking back on 8 mm (and Super 8/Single 8) it was a pain to work with; editing the camera original with the risk of damaging it; the fiddly size and using tape joins or worse, cement. The many problems of sound starting with the quality; the Heath Robinson tape synch systems; stripe that tended to delaminate if you applied it yourself (yes; I had a machine that applied stripe; another horror show). The impossibility of getting decent copies at an affordable price; I remember Kodak copies where the contrast increased to an unacceptable level. Then projecting; the ever present risk of the projector eating the only version in existence! There had to be cine clubs to share the misery.

In the greater world of movie making film is losing ground; Fuji no longer make motion picture film and Kodak are hanging on by their fingertips, There are no companies making 35 mm film cameras which I think underlines where the future lies. A traditional camera has a long life but will lose ground as more electronic features are applied.

The IAC has a wonderful potential and I hope it will be able to develop to meet the needs of a world of n-c film makers who do not join clubs but need a central organization to protect their interests and continue to run the BIAFF. Clubs are history and so are central organizations if they do not meet the needs of the current film making scene.

Have a great Christmas and New Year

ned c
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Ned puts his finger on it, the IAC as a 'central organisation', representing and nurturing independent film makers. If the publicity was presented more in this vein maybe more film makers not currently members might be attracted. The club scene is not really what the IAC is all about at all. The IAC has a massive library of non commercial productions, some of them very good indeed and maybe they could be exhibited to better advantage than they are. BIAFF is the jewel in the crown, well organised and deserving of
better national coverage. Presentation in a cinema (s) would enhance its status if that were possible and might attract entries from the sort of film makers entering films in the profusion of film festivals. The Glasgow Festival (to which I entered a film) received 1000 entries!

This is I'm afraid, way off thread, but it's important for us to understand that the art of film making is exactly the same as it has ever been, the tools used are irrelevant. I too started with standard 8mm, editing with a small viewer and cement splicer and yes, I'm nostalgic about it, but let's face it, having all your footage in digital form, available at the click of a mouse, makes it all a darn site easier!
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

I think that sums it up on cine for this year and a topic which has been well reviewed on here.
I like the phrase "Clubs are History". I had a wonderful experience of joining a video club as an exercise and request. I enjoyed my short stay and the knowledge of how a club works.
The key work for any media organisation to flourish on an amateur scale is "FLEXIBILITY".
I just seen in Jamacia that they dont have video clubs but a vibrant class of youngster who enjoy making video films in groups.
They have all the skills and equipment to make video films on a short scale.
Hope the New-Year 2014 will be better than 2013.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Whilst I can understand Michael's view that the club scene is not what the IAC is all about and I also believe that many clubs (or should that be many members of many clubs?) do much to damage the appeal of them to potential members, I think it is worth pointing out that the clubs (and the regions) are the backbone of the IAC.

Just imagine for one moment the IAC was an organisation that existed solely for individuals. There are no doubt many things it could manage to do well - in particular providing a networking facility to enable groups to form for one production and then disband.

But where would the man-power for BIAFF come from? Currently the effort of hosting is shared out with a different region hosting each year. And the regions arrange for clubs to organise projection teams. Try doing that with hundreds or thousands of individuals to choose from! And how many of them would have the projection equipment required?

Who would decide on the Council? These people would be far removed from the individual member and there's a good chance we'd just end up with a self appointed clique running the shop (which would inevitably lead to its break-up).

Whilst the unofficial hierarchy we have at present (club members, clubs, regions, national council) might mean a certain amount of bureaucracy, it also provides a degree of democracy. Ideas can be tested a club and then region level before being adopted nationally.

Clubs benefit from each other - in particular in terms of projection and keeping up with technology.

I also cannot think of any other facility outside of festivals that enables the new film maker to show his or her work on a large screen in front of a mixed audience of comparative strangers.

All of these things surely fit in with the IACs remit of encouraging filmmaking.

Don't get me wrong - (many members of the) clubs need to accept that they have to change if they are to survive, but I really believe that without these local facilities the IAC would find itself without a reason to exist.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tim. You said it all and have beaten me to it. If it wasn't for the clubs, the IAC would have collapsed a long time ago. Having been a member of a regional council for some time we depended on clubs to put on the regional events and they did it so well. I do wish everyone concerned with the IAC and the clubs the best of fortune in the coming trying months ahead.