sound fx

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

sound fx

Post by Roy1 »

Can anyone recommend a programme of sound FX that is safe to download without fear of trogans and viruses etc. I have 12 LP's records of BBC FX's which are very good, I can actually transfer these to cassette tape recorder on my equipment, but I have forgotton how to transfer the cassette tape to a hard drive on the PC. If anyone can tell me how to do this, it would help me. Thanks for any info.
granfer

Re: sound fx

Post by granfer »

Basically, connect the output of the Cassette Recorder (or even the Record Player) to the Line In jack on either the back or front of your computer and record your FX tracks using a free software called "Audacity 2.0.3", available from..

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/

There are versions for both Windows and MAC.

This software is brilliant, and has many add-ons that enable you to do many things to the sound, including cleaning, hiss removal... and even speeding up or slowing down the Effect WITHOUT CHANGING THE PITCH OF THE SOUND!

Don't ask me for explicit instructions (please!); there are lots of tutorials around... and trial and error is a great way to learn. It soon becomes intuitive.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

GRANFER. Thanks for your info. I have used this method before with a cassette tape recorder, but I can't use it with the record player as the player is part of a built in hi-fi system which is located in another room where it is teamed up with an overhead DVD projector. So I'm going to connect the amplifier output of this set up to a Zoom handy recorder as soon as I receive the adapter I have ordered which will be RCA jackplugs in and a 3.5 jack out. Thanks again.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

You might find it easier and better quality to visit http://freesound.org/ in case they have what you're after for free?
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"