Digital Vs Film.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Desmond Godwin

Digital Vs Film.

Post by Desmond Godwin »

I suppose it not a topic that the ardent film enthusiast (like myself ) likes to discuss but i found this U\Tube Video entertaining...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... ycBxKiGyYo[/youtube]

:) Desmond
Dave Watterson

Re: Digital Vs Film.

Post by Dave Watterson »

Good fun! Interesting the different colour renditions of the grass by the systems.

My least favourite moments with 35mm still photography were when I found the film had not been gripped properly by the take-up knob so my 38 exposures (I always snuck on extra) were all wasted.
Desmond Godwin

Post by Desmond Godwin »

That was a nasty one Dave. I could probably go one better with digital in that i was taking some retirement pics, and was into a group shot when the battery went dead. When i got home and
plugged the card into its reader i had lost some 10 pics and i was never able to retrive them.
Im always uncomfortable using a digital camera, I should have used my trusty Canon Film camera
-as i done some weeks back taking some wedding photos! see here... http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1277/eoslf.jpg

Desmond.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Thanks; interesting. Enjoy film whilst it is available; Fuji are discontinuing motion picture film in April and Kodak are now marketing motion picture film as an archiving material! Super8 is enjoying a minor resurgence but at wallet numbing prices and edited and released digitally. I was never much of a still photographer but my wife was dedicated and did her own color developing and printing accompanied by much wailing and gnashing of teeth, now all digital and Photoshop. We now have much more control over the final image; both movie and still than we ever had with film. I would love to shoot film again (I have a 16 mm camera now used as decoration) but the costs are prohibitive and I suspect I would be disappointed with the results. Anyone out there shooting movies on film? Even James Bond has gone digital!

ned c
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Imaginatively shot little film! I really enjoyed it.
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

The last time I used film it was 10x8 black and white. That does concentrate the mind on whether the photo is worth it or not!

Sadly I've never shot a film on film, as it were, and probably never will now.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I'm still waiting for Kodak to return the two super 8 cine reels that I sent them in 1974 for processing :lol:
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

Oh. Like that are they. Right, well I have a roll of undeveloped standard 8 in my old Deko cine camera. Damned if I'll send it off to them if they're not going to send it back. Would hate to lose it ...
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Even today the word film creeps in people making video media. Filming with film was fun and one concentrated on every shoot. Today its all about video software plug ins. But time move on.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

On our recent travels several people from other countries asked us whether they should use "movie", "video" or "film" to talk about their work in English.

We decided that most people use "film" to mean almost any kind of moving image - regardless of the medium on which it was shot or distributed.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Frank

Oh, never a truer statement has been made on these forums.

Film certainly concentrated your efforts on every shot, after all film on the cutting room floor was money thrown away.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Frank Maxwell

Post by Frank Maxwell »

Even they cut-a-ways shoots we used as an exercise for people wanting to learn editing film. I was in a major film "The Music Lovers" by Ken Russell. The three days we filmed at this park all ended on the cutting room floor.
I think people should call a video "VideoMovie" not film.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

You fellows should all try and see the documentary 'Side by Side' if you haven't already.
The subject is the transition from features being shot on film to the ever increasing use of digital images. Top directors, editors and actors talk about the subject, fascinating. You could wait for the next issue of our magazine wherein I sumarise my thoughts on the film but see it if you can, especially the 'extras' disc, better than the main one.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Michael

http://sidebysidethemovie.com/

Is this what you mean?
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

...and another question for the digital age.
Should we still call what we shoot "footage" ?
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk