CS5 manual

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

CS5 manual

Post by Roy1 »

Has anyone got a Manual for Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 they wish to part with. "Classroom in a book" would be just the ticket. I have plenty of tutorials but they don't tell me everything I want to know. I will pay any reasonable price.
FredD

Re: CS5 manual

Post by FredD »

Roy,
If you are not aware of 'Creative Cow', then you might find some of their free tutorials usefull, while you search for your perfect PP CS5 manual !
Try here : http://library.creativecow.net/tutorials/

Fred D.
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Fred D. Thanks for your interest. I have herard of Creative Cow and have now and then used their output. I have many tutorials, but they don't tell you how to fix things when the programme does things it shouldn't.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

Do you visit tv.adobe?

They have masses of video's there

If you have a specific problem then why not post it here, many of us use Premiere
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks to all who made suggestions. I am happy to say that I have now obtained a second hand "Classroom in a book" from a reputable dealer at a fair price.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Roy1 wrote:Fred D. Thanks for your interest. I have herard of Creative Cow and have now and then used their output. I have many tutorials, but they don't tell you how to fix things when the programme does things it shouldn't.
If the program's doing things it shouldn't, isn't that a bug? Do classroom in a books cover that sort of thing?

when I find bugs, I go to the Adobe community forums, they're usually really helpful.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

You are all probally right in what you advocate and you are all very helpful. It's most likely my fault but when I ask questions in various forums, I don't understand the jargon people use to enable me to solve the problem. They seem to think that everyone knows as much as they do, and most of us don't. I am just a video maker who uses the basic methods of production. . I don't pretend to know all about bitrates etc when making DVD's and Blu-rays. I just let the programme get on with it automatically, and most of the time it does. Although I no longer use Vegas, their built in tutorials are the best I've come across, why can't all other NLE's do the same. I am currently having a couple of problems with certain aspects of editing with CS5, but not being completely senile I can work round them, but I am hoping that the manual I have obtained might explain and cure the problems.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

[It's most likely my fault but when I ask questions in various forums, I don't understand the jargon people use to enable me to solve the problem. They seem to think that everyone knows as much as they do, and most of us don't. I am just a video maker who uses the basic methods of production.
I totally agree with you, Roy1. I try to avoid such forums for the same reason.

Ian Woodward

Audrey Hepburn: Fair Lady of the Screen eBook: Ian Woodward: Amazon.co.uk: Kindle Store
Amazon.co.uk: Ian Woodward: Books
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Personally, if someone says something in a forum that I don't understand, (Which happens plenty!) I say so, and ask them to explain.

I've never had anything but full, helpful and courteous responses. Their first reply was because they *wanted* to help!

Books seem to create more questions than answers, as they're not interactive if you fail to understand something.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

I'm in full agreement with Chris here. Often the first answer might be full of assumptions or jargon you don't understand because it is a form of shorthand and your correspondent will obviously not want to waste his (or her) or your time explaining stuff you already know. This should not be taken as an unwillingness to spend more time explaining in more detail, if required.

Very often on another forum, someone might begin with "Sorry if this is a stupid question, but ...." to which the answer invariably begins "The stupid move would be not asking the question"

In my experience, people on forums, paricularly hobby forums, genuinely do want to help and are always mindful that the knowledge they are now imparting is knowledge that they once didn't have.

However, I'm also a fan of reading books and manuals in bed. I find that better for study, but forums better for Q&A (and discussion)
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I agree with you guys, many years ago when I started PC editing with Premiere 4.1 (not CS4, Adobe reset their numbering with Premiere Pro) I got the Adobe book, the video tutorials that came with it were very good but the text left a lot to be desired.

There is plenty of online help and tutorials available and even now I still use them as the functions that are available in your editing and disc creation software if you know how to use them are astonishing. On the Edius forum there is an amazing video tutorial on colour correction which I watched the other day, learned a lot about Edius that I did not know it could do.

An IAC member was having trouble with exporting a movie in Edius and I made a short video tutorial for them and uploaded it onto my section of the Vimeo web site it only took about 15 minutes but if it helps someone make a movie that I do not mind the time it takes me

Whatever editing system you use you will find it far easier if you learn a little more than the basics, J and L cuts are a simple thing to do but not many use them to good effects, also in Premiere learning how to use the ripple, slip and slide editing modes will really improve your editing skills (see my edting tutorial on Vimeo if you do not know what I am talking about)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb