IMAX: too big for its boots

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
fraught

Re: IMAX: too big for its boots

Post by fraught »

They say showing it at 48fps gets rid of the judder during the pans etc. I hope i get a chance to see it!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

I think a lot of the hammering "The Hobbit" got was because people didn't fully take on board the the footage shown was unfinished.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Interesting

Apart from bringing in the bucks, why on earth would the distributors show such an important movie in IMAX when it clearly does not seem to have been shot for it

As for 3D, I happened to be in the Eden centre in Cornwall when they were shooting a 3D documentary with David Attenborough, wow what a lot of very large, very expensive kit a logistical nightmare. Watched the resultant programme on my 3D TV and it was great, Sky 3D programmes vary considerably in quality, some are good, most are dire and as for footie, I now never watch it in 3D as the players all look flat, yes there is the perspective of 3D but that is all, the Nutcracker in 3D is the best movie followed by Avatar but all 3D are a pain to watch
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
daveswan

Post by daveswan »

If you think that was bad, check out BTS 4 from The Hobbit. Camera Lust!

there's also an important desicion to be made when framing 3D, where in the "space" is the screen. ie how much of the action takes place beind the screen and how much in front? Too often 3D has been an excuse to have the action hapening in the audiences faces.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Returning to Tom's post on the IMAX and Skyfall

Michael my Son In Law went to see the movie in Manchester's IMAX today and he had a tour and explanation of the projection system by the Manager (he had previously complained about the image quality a couple of weeks ago and this was the Managers PR job)

Manchester have only just upgraded its sound, screen and projector, the Manager said that the projection was 4k digital from 35mm stock he also added that in a years time they expect to update to IMAX laser

Michael said that the image quality was superb, the best he has seen on the IMAX either at Manchester or at Bradford
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

I saw the new Bond film at the Odeon Leicester Square and the picture quality was superb. Great film too!
Brian Saberton