You Tube and Windows

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

You Tube and Windows

Post by Roy1 »

You Tube says that they are withdrawing support for internet explorer 7 and says you should install Win Exp 9 but to install the expl 9 you have to have Windows 7.and I have XP on this particular PC. I am wondering when purchasing Windows 7 which I have installed on another PC, can you install win.7 on more than 1 PC. or are you restricted to one PC installation. Info welcomed.
Dave Watterson

Re: You Tube and Windows

Post by Dave Watterson »

Roy you could install IE8 which runs on Windows XP with Service Pack2 or 3.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=43

Or try other browsers like Firefox and Chrome which are both free and can be downloaded easily.

Dave

PS YouTube regularly end support for older browsers of all makes because they are simply not so safe as newer versions.
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

Roy, if you've only got one licence key with your copy of Win7 you can only install it on one PC, the activation process will detect duplicate installs.

But as Dave says you don't need Win7 to get a more up to date browser, there are several available. I used to use IE9 but now use Chrome because of the number of websites that caused IE9 to display an error message saying it had stopped working.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy
I'd go with Firefox, it is much better than IE and less prone to attacks.

With Firefox you can also get free plug ins including an excellent screen capture/recorder utility so if you want to save Youtube videos to your hard disk all it takes is a few mouse clicks
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks everyone for your input. DAVE. for now I have downloaded IE8 to see how I get on. I must say I've always been happy with IE7. COL. Firefox seems interesting and I might have a try with it later.
PETER.. How can you tell about the licence coverage before trying a second install..
Peter B

Post by Peter B »

Roy. IE8 is quite a good choice if you want to stay with a Microsoft browser, sometimes I wish I'd stayed with IE8 and not upgraded to IE9.

As to the 2nd install of Win7. When you install Windows it will ask for the product key as part of the install process, you'll then have 21 days, or thereabouts, to register your copy of Win7. The registration is usually done on-line and during the registration process the Microsoft registration server will check the product key against its database. If it finds the key has already been used it'll reject your activation, and probably refer you to a page where you can buy a second licence. MS do this for almost all of their software now, and they're not alone, Adobe do it with Photoshop.
My attempts at videos & AV sequences can be found on my website- http://www.dragon-sanctuary.co.uk
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

It's all to do with HTML5, a new internet standard, which allows programmers to write one page of code that works and displays equally well on smartphones and large screen desktop PCs.

Currently, the best browser for conforming to the HTML5 standards is Chrome, with Firefox not far behind. IE8 is ok, with only a few obscure features not working.

If you want to avoid too much change go for IE8, but if you fancy a slight adventure, try Chrome.
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"