New at NAB

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

New at NAB

Post by ned c »

http://philipbloom.net/2012/04/16/blackmagic/#comments

Just back from NAB and this was the show stopper.

Visited the Grass Valley Booth; the Edius demo was minute and no one in attendance when we visited. Future?

Adobe very busy in anticipation of CS6.

DSLRs and support equipment everywhere. Canon with the largest booth they have ever had.

Ned C
col lamb

Re: New at NAB

Post by col lamb »

Ned

On the GV forum there has been quite a bit of adverse comment on GV's lack of Edius presense.

I have the feeling the CS6 will blow Edius out of the water, GV do not seem interested in providing a product that users request where Adobe are all creative and striving forward.

Shame as an editing tool only Edius is pretty good.
Last edited by col lamb on Sat Apr 21, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Just seems odd when NLEs are being compared like this when all of them - bar none, and including Windows Movie Maker, are excellent. It's like saying that because a microphone or tripod is old it's no good. LEDs have all but superseded tungsten for lamps but light is light. People still use Super-8. I still use Premiere 6.5 and I defy anyone to read that from any one of my DVDs.

Editing is 99% human brain and 1% NLE software. So reading thoughts that 'CS6 will blow Edius out of the water' leaves me cold.

Just my pov.

tom.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Tom

Not all editing software is excellent, many that I have tried are slow and lacking in features.

Edius is one that is excellent at editing and medioce at disc burning, also GV are seemingly not including reasonable titling software in thier next upgrade resulting in new users having to obtain third party products at extra cost.

GV management at NAB failed miserably in promoting Edius, I wonder why that is, they have also laid of quite afair number of staff including one who is widely regarded as being one of the best at demonstrating the excellent functionality of Edius.

Indeed at NAB some professionals asked the Edius demonstrator about editing 3D and after a blank look they moved on despite GV developing 3D editing for a forthcoming update, cannot help but think that GV do not have Edius high on their development list.

That said it does everything now that the vast majority of users require

I watched a bit of the live streaming of NAB on twittv and the new JVC camcorder seems to be quite a product.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I have to admit that I have only used half a dozen NLE systems, and in comparison to the Kollmatic cement splices and crash editing days of vision mixers and S-VHS decks, I would deem all of the current editing systems excellent.

Can you expand on your thoughts that Edius is 'medioce at disc burning'? The disc authoring program allows you to have moving menus with multiple pages, sweet music, overlaid with lots of P in Ps, and with tens of little moving images of chapter points. FCP and Encore make fancier menu pages but they work no better. And I can't fault Edius' disc burning. The VBR encoder makes outstandingly good DVDs and BD.

As you say - Adobe are steaming ahead with their CS program and are rejoicing in the number of FCP users who have jumped ship. Regardless of their claims it's still no industry standard like Photoshop is, but all things change - they may well get there.

tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I have used five different NLE's and find that everyone of them does things I don't want to use and they all don't do some things I want them to do. I find that Adobe 6.5 coupled with pinnacle DVD 500 excellent and stable doing both analogue and DV. I still use it now and then when it's needed. Unfortunately it was marketed before the days of HDV. Adobe pro2 was good and would edit HDV but had no facilities to burn a Blu-ray disc. So I edited with it and then bought Vegas movie studio 10 platinum with DVD architect just to burn the Blu-ray disc. Vegas was exceptionally good and still is for the price and suits my needs well, but I have fell out with DVDA because since the update it no longer burns HDV to a stanard DVD disc. Now I have a trial of Adobe CS5 and Encore. Up to now it does everything I require including burning HDV to standard DVD discs as long as the video is not long. Mind you I wouln't want to pay the massive price required for CS5, as it would not be cost effective. I could buy enough blu-ray blanks to last me the rest of my life with the money I save in not purchasing it. However There is a chance that I can buy the CS5 reasonably from a friend who may be upgraded to CS6. so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Even so I'll have to upgrade to Windows 7. 64 bit. I have that on trial also.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

Have a look at Edius Neo 3, it does all most users require at a fraction of the price of CS5.5.

All Edius software is good at Editing and theire only limitation is the disc burning which whilst good is not a patch on the versatility of Encore.

Suggest you download and give it a try.

You will also save in that you do not need to upgrade to Win 7 64 bit as it runs on XP and Win7 32 bit and an even more plus point is that it does not need the bells and whistles of a monster PC like Premiere just a fast processor. To make Premiere run at its best you also need an expensive graphics card with plenty of CUDA core
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

col lamb wrote:You will also save in that you do not need to upgrade to Win 7 64 bit as it runs on XP and Win7 32 bit and an even more plus point is that it does not need the bells and whistles of a monster PC like Premiere just a fast processor.
Apps like Premiere really seem to benefit from computers with loads of power and graphics, but I know from some first hand experience that Premiere & Encore CS5 will edit HDV with some stability on a Pentium Dual Core desktop PC.

Suprising but true :shock:

Re comparing NLE apps - I didn't edit in the cine days so I suppose all edit apps are easier to use than with splicers and cement, but I do think some NLE editing apps are much better than others. I used Prem 6.5 for years and although I loved the app, I found the motion editing tool a real pain to use, and thankfully it's hugely improved now, as is the titling part of it. But the worst effect on Prem 6.5 for me was when zooming into a still image. The still always started from 720x576 pixels and just got blockier as you zoomed... Hated that. If there was a way of getting a high res still into 6.5, I didn't figure it out.

I hope CS6 has an improved Encore - I just think it needs more template options in its arsenal - I'm not that skilled with photoshop to make my own ...