Edius and the Edius forum

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

Edius and the Edius forum

Post by col lamb »

It would seem on the Grass Valley Edius forum website that free speech is only free just as long as you do not offer constructive criticizm of their products.

Whilst I accept and agree that Edius in both Neo and 6 forms is a very good product and is more stable (in certain circumstances) when compared to other editing software products, it does have some very poor workflow issues namely in actual sequence (timeline) clip trimming and that the DVD/Blu-ray burning plug in does not display poster frames at the chapter point but mid clip and the availability of menu variations and chapter navigation is distinctly second class compared to Encore.

I have made such comments and my posts have been deleted.

In head to head comparisons I have made using CS5.5 and E6.6 I find that E6.5 just edges playback when having multi vids and effects added.

That said for me Premiere CS5.5 is considerably faster to use, its output options are on a different planet compared to E6.5 and CS5.5 encoding is faster. Encore disc production is quick and easy to use once you get used to it.

On the Edius forum it would also seem that more people have very strange occurances happening with stability in getting their systems useable, something that does not seem to happen to anywhere near the same degree with Premiere. I, in fact had just that problem with my system last week when I booted it it reported that Edius was not installed correctly and I had to restore my system to get it working again. Just why this happened is a mystery as no change had been made to my edit PC.

My days of recommending Edius are now over, long live Adobe

Long live free speech
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Michael Slowe

Re: Edius and the Edius forum

Post by Michael Slowe »

Censorship of a site should only be tolerated if it is to prevent slander and bad language. If you are looking for the best, independent equipment forums then go to The Creative Cow which is where the professionals worldwide exchange views and assist with technical queries. Almost any hardware or software is represented and I have learnt so much from The Cow over the years. By the way Col, I don't know about Adobe but for me the best and most intuitive editing software is Media 100. Been going since the early 90's, suffered from a bad sale but now owned by Boris and bang up to date and absolutely brilliant.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Michael

I have not used CC much must try it more, mainly used DV Doctor mainly but even that is getting a bit quiet but will only go on the GV forum to keep up to date and definately no posting.

I had been using Premiere for about 18 months and also Ulead's Media Studio, and then I went to an Exhibition and saw Media 100 which was on a diffeent plant compared to the other two, then nothing, the world at its feet and it lost its way to all but the faithfull, a great tradgedy that it did not become the number 1 for editors
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Col, I didn't want to say too much about Media 100 because you may not have known it. It has been completely rescued by Boris with a large number of updates and revisions in the last three years. It now ranks with the best once again and the pros, fed up with FCPx are going back to it, although I have to say that Avid is the main beneficiary of Apple's madness and fixation with i devices. Media 100 will even handle native Red and Alexa files up to 4K quality. Integrated with Boris Red it can do almost anything and is still the simplest and most intuitive system there is. I think there's currently a free trial, why not investigate? Might have to be Mac though and I suspect you're PC.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

MAC, you are using strange language.

Only tried one once a couple of years ago, I'll pass, I'm just not a MAC person, cannot even manage an iPad or iPhone
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Colin, you state (quite rightly) that in Edius 6, 'the DVD/Blu-ray burning plug-in does not display poster frames at the chapter point but mid clip'. But with two mouse clicks you can choose any single frame from the entire chapter, so you can easily have your desired 'first frame'. I invariably have little movies playing in the frames, so it doesn't really matter where these movies start.

tom.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Tom

It is one of the many annoying quirks with Edius 6, a poster frame should by default display where the chapter marker is. If not then it should be able to tell it to do so in the preset settings.

When you have a lot of chapters that is a lot of mouse clicks.

By the time I have clicked to correct in Edius in Encore I would have finished and be brewing up whilst Encore is burning the disc. Edius is really that bad at handling all but very simple disc menus, the rest of Edius just works (most of the time) but the more I use it the less I like it.

If I rate Premiere at 90/100 then presently I would rate Edius 6 only 70/100
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

I, as Col will know am an Edius Neo user and still experiencing a simple problem. I must admit that help desk which is in Germany is prompt in replying trying to resolve my issue. But so far no go. Basically, I cannot 'print to tape' as I want to output to my camcorder. When I try this, I get an error message stating that my out profile settings do not match the video on the timeline.
Everything checks out. I can capture in Edius, and in/out in another program, I have sent screen shots of many settings etc. to the help desk and they have made many suggestions. I have even reinstalled as per their instructions but it still does not work.
Recently I have had to run a program and send it, which has been forwarded I am told to their 'engineering' department. I expect a man with a big spanner to turn up on the door step.
I have found Edius generally OK but I either have to make a DVD or export as an .avi and output to tape using another program. I find a couple of things a bind. I can't get the trick of doing a 'T' cut on audio as you can in Premier by holding a combination of Alt and Ctrl. Apart from that it is not bad except just I can't make a DV tape. I purchased it because of the cost over Premier and the fact you can do sequences using Edius, which I find useful. :(