Blu-ray blanks

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Blu-ray blanks

Post by Roy1 »

Seasonal greetings all. Has anyone used Aone BD blanks. They are so ridiculously cheap that I can't believe they're any good. Can anyone explain why my LG HD burner will play back BD discs, which I have recorded using it, on a PC. But will not play back on the PC an HD video using a standard DVD which has been recorded on the same Burner. All types of discs recorded on the LG burner plays back on all stand alone BD players and DVD players. Even with the latest Power DVD 11 programme the HD on standard DVD disc wont play back via the LG burner. It appears that windows XP won't recognise the LG burner.
Dave Watterson

Re: Blu-ray blanks

Post by Dave Watterson »

Roy - it is more likely that your PC does not have a suitable program for playing HD that has not been encoded in the BluRay standard.

What format are you using to record HD onto the standard DVD?

Dave
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

I'd hazard a guess that you have had the LG burner for a while.

I suggest that you get the model and serial number off your burner and go to the LG website and download the latest Firmware.

Outdated firmware is one of the biggest causes of discs not being played on machines other than those which burned the disc.

Even the DVD and Bluray players under the TV have firmware and they to need it updating.

I had my LG almost since they came out and had a similar problem to you, updating firmware was not available and a new burner was required, end result problem solved
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Dave. All I can tell you that I burn all my Blu-ray and standard DVD movies via DVD Architect and that program automatically selects all the relevant requirements.

Colin. I've had the LG GGW-H20L since March 2010. It cost me £148 and I have never used it to play back on the PC until now. As I have always played the blu-rays and the DVD's via an LG standalone blu-ray player. I have discovered that the rewriter will only play back on PowerDVD 11 on the PC, genuine Blu-ray discs. and won't play back standard DVD's even though the same re-writer was used to burn them. It won't even play back Blu-ray burnt to a standard DVD disc although they were burnt on the same re-writer. The two LG Blu-ray players I have, play all these discs with no trouble.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Roy

The firmware on your LG GGW-H20L should be version YL07

A lot of standalone players do not like re-writable discs, those that do have to have the disc finalized.

This is a big problem with our club members, our Panasonic dvd recorder/player will play re-writables but only if they are finalized and many times they bring discs that have not been finalized.

To be able to offer more advice, I need you to try the following: -

In DVD architect do not produce the burned disc, produce an image file (ISO)

Download and install the free IMGBURN and use imgburn to make your DVD/Blu-ray

Test the discs in all your playback devices and report back
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Colin. I think that we may be at cross purposes here. As I have said My standalone players have no problems in playing any type of disc burnt by the LG burner( internal). weher it be BD-R.BD-RE. or DVDwith HD burnt on it. IT's the re-writer that won't play back onto the PC. My friend has the same trouble. His is a later model LG burner and uses Windows 7 and his Re-writer will only play back genuine BD discs onto the PC vis PowerDVD.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

The only app I know that play blu-ray disks on a PC is PowerDVD 11 Ultra. It does play genuine blu-ray disks that are in the BD writer.
It doesn't play ordinary 4.7gb DVD's that have a blu-ray image burned onto them, whereas many stand alone blu-ray players play these cheap 'BD' disks fine.
Maybe Cyberlink will fix this little problem - the writer makes this pseudo-BD disk, but the writer won't play it.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Roy1, you ask has anyone used Aone BD blanks. As you say they are ridiculously cheap at 80p each, delivered to your door, but even so I've burnt lots of them and never made a coaster - using an LG burner no less. They're full-face-printable, too.

Mind you, 80p is quite a lot more than the 17p I pay for the equivalent DVD-R, and I'm pretty sure the manufacturing technology isn't all that different or more expensive. It just reflects market penetration I suppose - sales of DVD-R must be 100s of times higher than BD-R.

tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. I took note of your earlier response about Aone BD discs and I ordered ten. I have burnt one and eventually it was ok. I say eventually because I tried to burn onto the Aone disc with DVD architect and the programme went through the motions and finally said that the burn had been successful. However when I tried to play the disc there was nothing on it. Another coaster I thought. However a message asked me if I wanted to burn another copy and I don't know why but I left the failed disc in the re-writer and clicked on yes and lo and behold the second attempt was successful. The disc plays back OK.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I find those Aone BD disks fine. Not one coaster yet.

Yikes I need to order some!
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Whenever I burn a DVD or Blu-ray I never use Adobe Encore to burn the disc, I always make an image file from within Encore and then use IMGBURN to actually produce the disc.

IMGBURN is a free piece of software and so far when using it not one coaster has been produced on my system (kiss of death there then)

By the way my burner is an LG model
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

[quote="col lamb"]Whenever I burn a DVD or Blu-ray I never use Adobe Encore to burn the disc, I always make an image file from within Encore and then use IMGBURN to actually produce the disc.

I've heard so much about IMGBURN that I have given it a try. I don't know anything about it's operation,but as I had one ISO SD image available I used it to burn A DVD. The resultant image was brilliant,but the image had a watermark on it using terminoligy I don't understand. It also wasn't a SD DVD but a AVCHD disc. It only played back on an LG Blu-ray player and was brilliant and of course it wouldn't playback on a DVD player. Can anyone throw any light on the problem or know of any tutorials.
Last edited by Roy1 on Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Roy, I don't use the program, but the information you need will be in the forums of the official IMGBURN website ... that is where the guides are hidden away: http://forum.imgburn.com/
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

DAVE. Thanks for info. Will look at site.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. I bought a tub of Aone Blu-ray blanks and my LG burner won't accept them. It might not be the burner perhaps it's DVD architect that won't accept them. I don't know which is the culprit. I do know that my LG burner is a bit picky about what blanks I use. It's a shame really that I can't use the A one cheapies. Can anyone tell me if DVD architect can pick and chose which disc it works with or is it the burner to blame. I've just installed Windows 7 and re-installed Vegas M0vie studio and DVD Architect. could that cause the problem?