Wireless Loudspeakers

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

Wireless Loudspeakers

Post by Peter Copestake »

Is anyone using wireless loudspeakers with their projectors?
I guess the advantage of not having speaker cables to trip over/gaffer-tape down is that you need a mains lead to the speaker/amp setup that you can trip over/ etc.
Peter.
Peter Copestake
chrisk

Re: Wireless Loudspeakers

Post by chrisk »

Peter,

We tried wireless speakers at South Downs Film Makers using an audio sender and for trial purposes using a pair of PC amplified speakers. If successful we would have invested in more appropriate amplified speakers. Our club room in the Village Hall is about 22m long with the screen and speakers at one end and the operators desk at the other and mains outlets at both ends. The system worked OK but was not reliable as we experienced interference and occasional drop-outs however we set it up.

To get over the potential hazard of cables across the floor, permission was given to install wiring in the hall roof space and we now have cabling from end to end and proper jacks for quick speaker set-up. At the same time we ceiling mounted the projector with all cabling in the roof space. This arrangement together with a dedicated cupboard opening out as an operator's desk has proved very successful.

Chris
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Thanks for that, Chris. I thought that the circuitry would be similar to that use for radio microphones with a choice of bands available, though I have left mine on the one I found easiest to understand and it has never let me down.
Our situation is different too. Although we would use the system in the club room if it worked it would be as often used in other people's rooms when we give shows and that is where cabling is a bit of a worry.
Hope there may be more responses.

Peter
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

And anyway, wireless speakers is a bit of a misnomer in that they (generally) have to be powered from the mains.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

I'd be interested to know which ones you tried - do you know the model or possibly even a link to their website?
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

Hi Chrisbitz,

The audio sender that we tried was Ross AUSN864-RO. I can't find their own website but the device is listed at Amazon, Ebay etc. The equipment is not in use and I still have it here. You would be welcome to borrow it for a trial.

Chris
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

Chrisbitz, this is nothing to do with this tread but I wanted to ask you about your 'You Tube' mention. I was told that Vimeo might be the better site for longer films, also better picture quality. Do you have any views on this? I have a number of short films on You Tube, mind you I can never even find them so goodness knows what the point is! Your strap line is novel and might well help people to view your films. Sorry fellows, nothing to do with loudspeakers but I wanted Chrisbitz to see my question.
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

Michael Slowe wrote:Chrisbitz, this is nothing to do with this tread but I wanted to ask you about your 'You Tube' mention. I was told that Vimeo might be the better site for longer films, also better picture quality. Do you have any views on this? I have a number of short films on You Tube, mind you I can never even find them so goodness knows what the point is! Your strap line is novel and might well help people to view your films. Sorry fellows, nothing to do with loudspeakers but I wanted Chrisbitz to see my question.
Thanks for the question, and personally, it's a very easy answer. I make films because I enjoy making films, so equally, the more people that get to see my films the better.

It may be that Vimeo is a teeny bit better quality or it may be that they used to be a few years ago. But the bottom line is that I don't care... YouTube is perfectly good quality for showing my films, and it is the only significant place to show films that works with search engines.

YouTube is the second most influential search engine on the planet. If you wanted to find a video about a particular subject, would you go to YouTube or Vimeo to search for it? That's the crux for me...

What's your Youtube address?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

On the subject of wireless speakers, I had a look at the unit you mentioned on Google, although I didn't spot anyone selling it...

It seemed to be around the £10-£30 price range, and I wouldn't expect particularly good radio circuitry in that price range... Although equally, you would expect that radio speakers would be more mainstream, considering how useful they would be!

so maybe they haven't quite nailed the issue just yet...