A tripod upgrade

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

A tripod upgrade

Post by billyfromConsett »

A recent couple of movies I've made has left me wondering if my Libec DV TH950 tripod could be worth an upgrade to improve noticable shake at high zoom with my Sony Z5, caused by my hand on the handle. To cope with this, I tend to frame the shot, lock it, then let go of the tripod handle to keep the shake off.

I noticed a heavier Libec tripod - the LS38 2a - comes with excellent reviews and seems to be just a much more study support (at twice the weight) and is available with a mid-height brace or a floor brace.

http://www.tnpbroadcast.co.uk/payment-l ... -7226.html

Anyone tried this and found it worth a look?

Cheers Billy
tom hardwick

Re: A tripod upgrade

Post by tom hardwick »

The Libec tripod I used earlier this year was the 650 I believe and I was pleasantly surprised with how good the head was, though I had to weigh the tripod down with my kit bag to steady the spindly legs. I was doing a lot of full telephoto work of a band (Steve Hackett) on stage and noticed that I could see the bass vibrating my image. I turned on Steadyshot and it was much improved (NX5).

The 5.8kg £318 LS38 is a good step up from the 3,7kg £190 TH950 so you're heading in the right direction, but I just wonder if your current Libec head just needs careful adjustment?

tom.
billyfromConsett

I used a TH650 when I had my XM-1 and found it quite good, but quite weedy for a bigger camera. The head of the 950 is indeed very smooth, but I guess that the unit just doesn't have the physical rigidity to solidly support a maxed zoomed Z5 with kit.

The two options of the LS38 have the centre strut either at the base or in the middle, and I'm wondering which would be the easiest to use ie for moving the rig around a bit in places like churches. I guess the model the mid-section strut might be easier to move around a bit.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I have the leg struts at the base of my Manfrotto 525 legs, that way I can quickly lift the whole caboodle into the air and kick upwards in the middle of the struts. This pulls all the legs together instantly and I can move off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRaNQ2p5ipo
billyfromConsett

The job looks a good'un Tom.

I'm going to order the Libec LS38 with the floor strut.

Have a great weekend.