Compatible Blu-ray Export Setting.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

Compatible Blu-ray Export Setting.

Post by billyfromConsett »

I've just finished a wedding DVD filmed and edited in HDV, and want to export it to Bluray as well as SD.

I know not all Blu-ray players will play the kind of bluray disks I've made over the last year or so.

I use Premiere CS5 to export HDV 1440 x 1080 footage, keeping its matched format setting to export to the 'H264 Bluray' setting in the Adobe media encoder.

Anyone know if it would increase compatibility with general bluray players if I exported to MPEG2 1440 x 1080 setting, or indeed something else.

I also don't seem to have a player app that will play them. Power DVD 8 seems to not want to know. Anyone suggest a player app?

Cheers Billy
col lamb

Re: Compatible Blu-ray Export Setting.

Post by col lamb »

Billy

Whilst I do not have or use HDV footage the process is the same for full HD.

In CS5 export to Blu-ray or just export the Premiere timeline into Encore and let Encore do the encoding.

I did have a problem with my Blu-ray burner producing beer mats but that turned out to be because it was an old unit that no longer had firmware support. Replacing the drive solved the problem, in your case updating the firmware should make the disc more compatible.

New blank discs can have a different dye and older burners do not register this fact and they merrily burn a useless disc.

I had just the same problem with Power DVD and I made sure that the replacement burner came with full working playback software.

Some of my discs burned on the old burner would not playback on the PC but were OK on my Panny Blu-ray player that is connected to the TV, all is OK with the new burner

Hope this helps
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Just reading Col's reply above gets me wondering where on earth we've got to in mid 2011. Just when DVD seemed to be sorted, stable and solid, along comes HD-DVD and Blu-ray, and a post such as his could have been written about DVD in 2003.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Tom

I think I did write something similar at the time.

Hopefully the situation is not as bad as when we had DVD reading problems.

At lease now a Blu-ray burner is only c£70 rather than the hundreds DVD's were in the early days so if you do have to swap drives its is not the end of the world
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Thanks Col. The question about firmware of my LG burner hadn't even occured to me. All I know is that my H264 disks work in a Sony S360 player, but have not worked in a Panasonic player a few months ago. I'll see how my latest effort gets on.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Billy

My burner that gave me problems was also an LG, it is the one that firmware was not available for.

Mind you my new one is also LG but I will be checking their website more often and keeping up to date by downloading the firmware software, but not installing it unless I have to but then at least I will have the files.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.