Green Screen on location?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

Re: Green Screen on location?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Sorry Peter, I am an Edius beginner too. I have learned a few tricks but basic things like cross-fades are still a mystery!
Dave
John C

Re: Green Screen on location? Extend Clips

Post by John C »

Hi,
01189 230416 is the Edius helpline and their e-mail is desktop.support.emea@grassvalley.com

They are very helpful and VERY knowledgeable. I e-mail simple questions and get a very quick response, and phone more complex items. It is a first class service.

Page 180 of the Edius Version 6 manual refers to extending clips. The procedure is;
User settings-
application-
timeline-
tick the box.... Extend clips when applying transistions/cross fade.

This will then allow you to toggle between normal useage and a short clip without a top and tail.

You can put an icon on your timeline but I forget how to do this. User settings is a good place to start but the help desk will tell you in a shot.

Best of luck

John C
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Dave
A great source of information: -
http://ediusforum.grassvalley.com/forum/index.php

The second best forum on the net.

If you have to ask what is the best write your suggestion on the back of a sealed envelope and send it into Dave via head office, I'm sure he wil know what to do with the answers;-)
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Storyteller

Post by Storyteller »

Just to round off this discussion, I can tell you we filmed the scenes at Whitwell & Reepham Railway, who were very obliging - apart from providing a loco and carriages and moving them as required, they also lit up the BBQ and got out the real ale - 'Whitwell Wobbler' was - perhaps fortunately - off that day, but we had access to something else.

In the end, we solved the problem of a platform without rails vs. a set of rails without a proper-looking platform by carefully selecting camera angles. We did the 'reverse train trick', having our actor lay on the rails just behind the last coach and filming the train moving away, which I then turned round in editing and speeded up a bit.

We finished the main shoot a couple of weeks ago, and did some reshooting in Norwich on Saturday which involved pointing a pistol at someone and then having our Makeup Expert put a bullet-hole in the actor's head. The nice folk of this city aren't used to seeing anyone with a terrible bleeding head wound wandering about, smiling, but we only had one smart-a**e to deal with.

Sorting out Edius has become a bit clearer. Yesterday, I put all the sequences together for the first time and was able to watch the whole film through. (Seems like a helluva lot of work for 16 minutes. :) ) Just two more bits to reshoot and that should be it, except for the editing and polishing.

Thanks once again to the kind folk on this forum for all your help and advice.

Peter