Canon LEGRIA HF G10

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John C

Canon LEGRIA HF G10

Post by John C »

My Canon XM 2 has lost its Zoom facility. Hooray say the Competition Judges!!! However it is useful on occasions.
Only one Canon repairer has offered a quote the amount of which will go someway towards a new and more upto date Camera.

I have liked what I have read about the Canon HF series but nobody stocks them in Northern Ireland so I cannot get my hands on one. I am happy to buy "Blind" if I can be assured that my Sony 58mm lens (VCL-HG0758), that worked so well on the XM 2, will fit onto either the HF G10 or the HF M41.

Anyone been there and knows the answer I would love to hear from you.

Any comments on the HF series would also bee appreciated.

KR

John Collinson
tom hardwick

Re: Canon LEGRIA HF G10

Post by tom hardwick »

The HF G10 has got to go some (at over £1200) to match the Panasonic TM900 at just over half that price, but that's a problem faced by Sony, JVC, Samsung and all the others. The TM900 is the one to beat.

The Sony 0758 will indeed work with the Canon (and the Panasonic, come to that) but you'll need a step-down ring to take the Sony's 58mm attachment thread down to match the Canon's filter thread. Because this step-down ring has a certain thickness it's worth holding the lens in place and moving it forward by 3mm or so, to check for vignetting at the widest angle. If it looks ok on your computer monitor (not just the sidescreen or v'finder that may well over-scan) then go ahead, buy the step-down.

tom.
John C

Post by John C »

Tom,

Thank you very much for your information. I was well served by Panasonic prior to buying the Canon.

The TM 900 had not featured in my analysis. I like what I see.

I am off to the Royal Norfolk Show tomorrow so maybe there is somebody in Norwich that might have one in stock.

Will let you know how I get on.

Kr John C.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I can support Tom's comments on the Panny TM900.

I got one last week and have just completed the first movie, shot in AVCHD rather than 1080p which is the better quality option and the results are visually stunning.

Its small lightweight has a proper viewfinder in addition to the LCD panel and also mike and headphone connections.

The optical stabilization system is little short of superb, colour rendering is very good straight out of the box.

If you can give one a try take an SD card and check out the results at home prior to buying but one word of caution, it records by default to the internal memory and you will need to point it to recording test footage onto the SD card within the Menu system. Also the stills are 8Meg and also of pretty good quality.

At less than £800 it is the current must have camcorder in the serioud user market.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

You trying to confuse us Col? 'shot in AVCHD rather than 1080p' is an odd thing to say :D . No matter, it's available at £690 by doing a couple of clicks of your mouse.