YouTube music copyright query

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Trev52A

YouTube music copyright query

Post by Trev52A »

On the main IAC site under 'Resources' it tells us how to upload videos to the web (YouTube in my case), and reassures us that having the IAC Music Licences (which I have) should avoid any copyright problems. The problem is, how can you explain to YouTube you have one and quote the numbers? Is there a questionnaire or something to fill in, or some way of explaining?
I have had the music deleted on one film and had to swap the audio for one of theirs (which was a shame as it was a music-to-video type film which was exactly in sync with my original choice of music!) and I currently have one with the warning 'matched third party content' posted alongside it.
Am I missing something obvious on the YouTube site? Anyone else had this problem? :(
Trev
Dave Watterson

Re: YouTube music copyright query

Post by Dave Watterson »

Hi Trev,

YouTube's agreement with the music business companies applies to material that UK companies have created or which they release under licence. It is possible that the track you used was outside the scope of the arrangement. It is also possible that the artist/s concerned - or their management - said no. They always have that right.

BUT TRY ...

YouTube's procedure for challenging their decisions:
  • Go to "My Videos"
    In the menu on the left click "Content ID Matches"
    The display will change to show only those videos of yours which have a challenge against them. You can click the link "View copyright info" to see more and there are links there explaining more about copyright etc.
    One of those links is: "I want to learn more about the dispute process." click that.
    On the page which appears read the information and click the link marked "I have a valid reason to dispute this claim. Take me to the dispute form."
    Fill in the form quoting the IAC licence numbers and you may have success.
Good luck,

Dave
PS Oddly enough the videos I have put up which attract warnings all use royalty-free music. The claim usually comes from abroad so I suspect some royalty-free music suppliers buy in tracks from other companies ... or come up with very similar melodies!
Trev52A

Post by Trev52A »

Thank you Dave - I would never have worked out that procedure by myself!
I will give it a go and get back to you in due course.
By the way, it was impolite of me not to have signed out at the end of my last post :oops:
So I'll do it now - twice to make up!
Trev
Trev
Trev
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

If you add a 'sign out' to your profile (as Signature). it will sign out for you automatically Trev.
Trev52A

Post by Trev52A »

Thanks for the tip, Mike.

I have tried as you suggest and will now see if it works - cheers!
Trev
Trev52A

Post by Trev52A »

I see it has worked - and it has also added my signature to my previous posts!

- Which means my second post doesn't make much sense any more. :?

Never mind, you live and learn!
Trev
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

That's OK - no one is going to be upset at two signatures!

You can change it at any time of course (if you have a name change for example! :) ) or add to it - and all your posts will be updated with the change you make.