volume adjustment in Adobe premiere pro 2

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

volume adjustment in Adobe premiere pro 2

Post by Roy1 »

Can anyone tell me how to adjust the volume of a part of an audio clip on the timeline. I can alter overall volume of an audio track and I can alter the volume of a whole audio clip but I just can't find the way of altering volume on a part of a clip. I could I suppose use the razor to cut the clip at the start and finish of the part I want to alter and then lower the volume line between the cuts. But I think there might be a proper way to do it. On all other editing programes a dot appears on the volume line and you adjust volume between the dots. Are these dots associated with making keyframes? I have searched three hundred
notes on the adobe help but can't find the answer. I expect as usual the answer is staring me in the face and I can't see it..Any help gratefully received.
Pqtrick

Re: volume adjustment in Adobe premiere pro 2

Post by Pqtrick »

If this is of any help to you.

Firstly, highlight the audio track on the timeline.

Then to the left at the start of the track there is the 'video/audio' box say, 1,2,3. In the corresponding box, a 'add/remove Keyframe' point is present. It is quite small and looks like a square at 45 degrees. Click on it, and a dot will appear on the audio clip in the timeline. Now to adjust the volume, you need two dots so add another a little distance away. Each dot will appear where you have the curser. You must have the audio clip highlighted to work on it.

You can then adjust the dots up and down with the pointer tool (and along the line) to get the audio level required. So, if you want to fade the sound in from say 0db to 10db, the first one would be at the start of the track at 0db and the second at your chosen audio level of 10db or whatever. Then to fade out, you add two more dots and do the inverse. You can add as many dots or 'keyframes' as they are called, and balance the audio up and down as required. It will look like graph.

There is also another way of doing this, but have a go at this first, if this makes any sense! You can pan the audio also in this way when you find the trick. PW
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks pqtrick. (Is this is how your name is spelt) Your information is the correct answer for me and I can now alter the volume as I want. Your info much appreciated. Roy
:D
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Glad I can be of help. I don't think of myself as an real expert but I keep picking up the odd way round things as I keep progressing.

The Pq! I think it was a Dave Watterson invention. I presently live in France and having bought a new computer here, I was complaining about the keyboard because the layout is a liitle different. The 'a' is where the 'q' is being AZERTY, rather than QWERTY. Having a moan about it usualy helps until I messed up my sign on and password for this site. DW sorted it and he named me 'Pqtrick'! Voila.

There are others, including punctuation and symbols the @ for email which is the most difficult to key in, but like driving on the right, one tends to get used to it!

Pqtrick
markk

Post by markk »

hold the mouse over the point exactly where you want a keyframe to appear and use teh combination of control button on the keyboard & left click on the mouse. A Keyframe appears exactly where you want it....et voilla!
Sony Z5 camera, Sony MRC Compact flash Hard drive, Senhieser me 66 mic, Premiere pro cs3 & Cs4 on PC. Oh and a packet of Annadin Extra!!
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

I added a tip above about adjusting the volume of audio on the timeline in Premier CS3. Now I have a query which I cannot work out even having reading the explanation in Help.
I thought you could find a 'Pan' audio the same as you could 'volume' and adjust it in the same way. Not at the same time but by clicking an option.
I cannot get 'pan' to appear at all any idea anyone?
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

it's an option on the far left of the timeline track that you're working on, I think, near where you can mute or hide a track..
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

In CS3 panning on a clip or timeline is not directly possible unless you use the Audio Mixer for the whole timeline or the Audio Channel filter which is amonst the Effects controls, drag and drop this effect onto the clip. Apply this filter to the clip and adjust the controls in the Effects Window

There is an alternative for individual clips! Put the clip you want to pan on its own sequence and apply the degree of pan you want using the Audio Mixer then insert that sequence in your original working sequence.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Chrisbitz

Post by Chrisbitz »

You're absolutely right Colonel. Maybe I'm thinking back to Premiere 6 days or something, but I'm sure I've seen it there in the past!
I like to make films, this is- my Youtube account. What's yours?

"all of the above is nothing more than nonsensical ramblings, and definately should NOT be misconstrued as anyone's official policy"