Telephoto lens required for filming waders.

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
John C

Re: Telephoto lens required for filming waders.

Post by John C »

This is a great correspondence. Thank you for reminding me abour the Dipper film. It was great when it appeared at Harrogate. However i recall that he was able to get very much closer to the River bank that I can get to the sea shore at Castle Espie the WWT site.

I have spent the day on the Internet and a good bit of time in Calumet Belfast who were so helpful but no 58mm lens.

Col Lamb;
Please could you e-mail me a copy of you Article that appeared in FVM. I pass my copy onto the Club members to gether with the Club copy and they only reappear every four months or so. My e-mail is jacollinson@tiscali.co.uk

Dave, I like your idea and in Alaska I filmed, badly, White Tailed eagles through the $1 viewing point about 1000 yards away.

I tried the same last week at one of our RSPB sites using a twitchers telescope but the shake was impossible.

Maybe a bridge camera is the answer.

KR John C.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Thanks for the XL2 link, Chris.

Great stuff!

Ian
JaneB

Post by JaneB »

Hello. This is the first time I've sent a posting. I had your question the other year and this is what I found useful.
firstly, the word DIGISCOPING. You can attach a digital camera, SLR or compact to a scope and using your video you are there. Just do a search on digiscoping and you should find out the specifics to suit you.Another route is to use a JVC GY-HD 101.. Detach the standard lens and using an adapter fit say a nikon fit DSLR lens. If you use a 300mm lens need to multiply this by 7.2 to get the focal length. I use this system but with a Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO (cheap off ebay)My adapter is a Mike Tapa version ( http://www.mtfservices.com/) or Les Bosher or Zorka. Have a look at this link http://www.dvuser.co.uk/content.php?CID=133
Have fun. Jane
John C

Post by John C »

Thank you Jane,

In January I went to Slimbridge on a Wildlife Filming course run by a film crew from Bristol and learn't an awful lot, but we used an HD lens costing Mega bucks and an ordinary Camera.

I have pulled in my horns when I see that there is little chance of matching these experts and have deceided to fill the frame and move closer if I can. We were told that there were a number of excellent lenes on E-bay and so when I feel more confident with my knowledge I will return to your advice and apply it to my current camera. The Camera I had at the time has died and I purchased a Panasonic TM900 so I have a new learning curve and only when I feel that I know my new camera will I go down the lens trail again.

Thank you for your help.

KR
John C.
FredD

Post by FredD »

Hi John,

When you are ready to look for a Digiscoping solution to your telephoto requirements
you could try : SRB Griturn Ltd at this URL : srbfilm.co.uk
They can supply all the necessary parts that you will need to mount your 'scope' on
to your video camera.

Regards,
Fred Dorsett
"Films are never released, they escape !" Ben Burtt
John C

Post by John C »

Hi Fred,

Thank you for your help.

KR

John C.