A guide to a PC's specifcation

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

Re: A guide to a PC's specifcation

Post by col lamb »

This is my last post within this thread as I am now a convert to Apples iMac and I have no intention of spending anymore time researching Windows based PCs.

The specification for a PC is based on Adobe Premieres requirements.

Consider the specifcation as a starter but above all DO NOT assume that a PC or Laptop bought at the likes of PC World will work without fault when you edit HD, you should assume that it will not work unless proven physically.

Or you could simply buy a 5k iMac and know that it will work editing HD video and it will also edit 4k video.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

My 5 year old early i7 rig edits HD without fault in CS6 using 64 bit Windows.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

This is a question, I have had my computer changed from Windows XP to Windows 7 home premium.
Now my computer does not recognize my Sony A1 camera or my Panasonic DV rec/player.
Can you help please?
John Vernon
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

John, exactly how are you linking the computer and camera? I guess that you are using a cable. Is it to a USB port or to a Firewire port?
Same question for the player.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

If you're using firewire - which you should - then check device manager to check if your firewire is reporting no trouble.
If it has a yellow error flag, delete the device and restart the computer. It should find it and install the drivers for it.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

Dave Watterson wrote:John, exactly how are you linking the computer and camera? I guess that you are using a cable. Is it to a USB port or to a Firewire port?
Same question for the player.
Thank you for your prompt reply Dave. Yes I am linked to the PC by firewire exactly as it was before I installed Windows 7.
I've been quite busy over the last couple of weeks with trips to hospital outpatients, both the wife and I plus the dentist-result; another molar bites the dust, which meant that I haven't have time to get on my hands and knees behind the PC.
I'll get back to it this week and report my progress.
Best wishes.
John Vernon. Lichfield MovieMakers.
Elmo

Post by Elmo »

billyfromConsett wrote:If you're using firewire - which you should - then check device manager to check if your firewire is reporting no trouble.
If it has a yellow error flag, delete the device and restart the computer. It should find it and install the drivers for it.
Thank you Billy. All sorted now.
John
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

A question for the technical amongst you. I've just splashed out on a Dell Inspiron 15 laptop, 12gb ram, DVD-RW on board, £750, Windows 10, pretty good reviews.

But... the​ DVD player stutters its way through DVDs, home burnt and bought pressed. It's only every now and then, and only a slight hick-up, but it's incredibly annoying nonetheless. And l feel it reflects badly on me and my DVD encoding/burning.

Any thoughts as to what might be going on, what other tests l could do to check it out? I'm sure John Lewis would swap it out, but that would be capital H Hassle.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Hmmmm. I pretty convinced I've noticed the same issue with playing back DVDs on Windows 10 but I so rarely do this I might be "mis-remebering". I'll try again this evening on my own W10 PC. What software are you using for playback? And have you checked the video drivers are up to date (for the benefit of others, just because the PC is new it doesn't mean the drivers aren't several generations out of date)

Also:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2984343/ ... ounds.html
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thanks for your thoughts, Tim. DVD playback is Cyberlink Power media Player version 14.0.1.6511 I'm surprised there seems to be no WM player on board.
Is there an easy way to 'check the video drivers' as you suggest?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Microsoft didn't include a DVD decoder in Windows 10 but they would be happy to sell you one for about $15. There was a bit of grumpiness among users about this at the time, I seem to recall.

For your drivers, Dell has a good support site.
Go to www.dell.co.uk and click on "Support" and then "Support for your product"
Enter the Service TAG number which you will find on a label on the laptop.
From there on in you're on your own, but there are various options for finding your drivers. My first shot would be to run the app which detects drivers (this will require installing a program, but it's all quite harmless). If you search for your own driver it may be that it offers several varieties for your PC. This is a bit more tricky as you will need to try to identify which graphics chip you have - either from the invoice or by looking in Device Manager.

On the other hand ... It may well be that a Windows update is all that is required. Have you tried that?
Tim
John Roberts

Post by John Roberts »

...or download an earlier version of WMP? I downloaded WMP 12 for free because I wanted a simple media player primarily for mp3 playback with the ability to create playlists at a click or two or the mouse. Of course WMP 12 can also play DVDs.

I'm not a lover of Cyberlink Power Media Player, I much prefer using VLC Media Player, but I like the portable version 2.1.0 which looks and feels more like the old style WMP. The playback features are extremely handy, especially the frame rate and interlacing adjustments. I can make anything look great on VLC :-)

However, neither of my versions will play Blu-Ray, I have to revert to Cyberlink for that :(

John
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Gosh, you guys are great.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

More help maybe. If I simply download the VOB files off the DVD and play those from the laptop's HDD and open them with power media player they're fine, play smooth as silk.

Does that tell you experts anything about the graphics card, DVD player mechanism etc?

On another note, the FHD screen on this Dell is dull. On mains power its brighter, but it's still miles from a mobile phone. And the colour cast towards cyan is nasty .. are there any fixes for this?
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

For brightness you could go to "Edit Power Plan" and play around with the settings there - although I cant find a specific brightness control there, just enabling adaptive settings or not. It's quite likely Dell has its own settings app on there which will be more flexible/specific. Anyway, I'd look under "Display" and "Power options".

As for colour, I'm surprised you don't already have a calibrator like the Datacolor Spyder.

But hey, guess what? I've just discovered Windows 10 has its own Color Calibration built in:

http://www.windowscentral.com/how-calib ... windows-10

(Note the instructions are wrong! - You need to go Win+i, Settings, System, Display rather than Win+i, Settings, Display - or at least i had to.)

Let us know if this makes any improvement :)
Tim