Free NLE program(s)

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

Free NLE program(s)

Post by Dave Watterson »

A friend with no interest in serious movie making asked my advice on a simple editor to trim the rubbish on footage shot with his vest-pocket camcorder. I reminded him of Windows Movie Maker ... which along with Apple's iMovie work well enough for most casual video users.

Tonight I heard through colleagues in the Bristol club that Lightworks is becoming available totally free - first for Windows and later in 2011 for other platforms. Lightworks has a strong history in the professional film making world. It began by working like the cine film editors of old. It won an Academy Award in the technical section. You can find out more at http://www.lightworksbeta.com

There are a handful of other video editors around that are totally free but the ones I have looked at are less than user-friendly. Anyone know more?

[I don't mean the many free-trial-for-a-limited-period offerings - I'm interested in genuinely free and complete programs.]
- Dave
leif

Re: Free NLE program(s)

Post by leif »

There are a handful of other video editors around that are totally free but the ones I have looked at are less than user-friendly. Anyone know more?

Hi Dave

I at once downloaded the program. It look very interesting. I installed it and I have had a first view in the options. It look very professional in all, but it is working quite different from what I am used to, so it will not be easy to evaluate. First thing: read the manual.

But one question: are you sure, this is user-friendly?
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

You are right, Leif. I confused two ideas.

Having Lightworks available free is one thing.
Finding free editing systems that are reasonably easy to use is another thing.

Anyone who ever used Steenbeck editing tables will find Lightworks relatively easy to learn, but today we have all become used to the timeline approach.

Dave
fraught

Post by fraught »

I have to say... i'm finding this App very confusing to use. Especially as you say Dave when we're used to Timeline editing. I will persist though... i will persist!
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
ned c

Post by ned c »

http://store1.corel.com/corel/?storeKey ... NASEMGglBR

I don't know if this available in the UK but Corel Video Edit Pro 3 is on sale for $30! I have an earler version of this program on a PC and it is amazingly capable and does things easily I have a hard time doing on FCP! It edits AVCHD and can create Blu-Ray discs.

ned c