NTSC DVDs with Nero Start Smart

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Copestake

NTSC DVDs with Nero Start Smart

Post by Peter Copestake »

If I use this programme to make DVDs and set it to NTSC will it actually turn my PAL video into NTSC or is it more complicated than that?
Peter Copestake
tom hardwick

Re: NTSC DVDs with Nero Start Smart

Post by tom hardwick »

More complicated I'm afraid. Proper NTSC is 29.97 fps (as against our 25) and for transmission there are colour differences as well. Our SD is 720 x 576, NTSC is 720 x 480, so they have nearly 100 lines less vertical resolution. Hi-def has levelled the playing field.

Are you thinking of sending DVDs to NTSC lands? Have you tried simply sending them PAL DVDs and let their players do the conversion on the fly? I do this and it seems to work just fine.

tom.
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

Hi Tom, I have sent some of my videos to my daughter in Texas and she can't get them to play on her machine. This is some time ago and perhaps things have changed. She is not very skilled with video matters though her husband is more so than her. I wonder what DVD player your contact in the US uses. Arthur
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

The advice I hear from friends like Ned Cordery is that the cheapest DVD players in the USA can often handle PAL as well. More expensive DVD players cannot. It might be worth suggesting your daughter see if she can buy a very cheap player from WallMart or a similar store. They seem to start around $27 = about £17 !

Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

Confirm Dave's comments. Here in the USA DVD players by the big names (Sony, Panasonic, JVC etc) will not play PAL DVDs. However, I have two DVD players, CyberHome ($25) and a Trent ($35) which has HDMI out, that both play PAL DVDs and actually transcode them so that I can capture the output as NTSC. Both purchased from a major electronics store, Frys, they are the sort of place you can buy a motherboard from!
ned c
Peter Copestake

Post by Peter Copestake »

Thanks for this everyone. I have just recorded an audition (or should that be vidition?) for a lass who's going to the NY Film Academy and is hoping for a scholarship and I wondered about NTSC giving here a better chance of success but, yes, she will be sending a PAL one and I hope the academy can afford a PAL compatible player!
Thanks again,
Peter.
Peter Copestake