Eumig projector

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Ora

Eumig projector

Post by Ora »

Dear members

I am an IT teacher from Greece. My colleagues have found recently a Eumig projector during our school's renovation. However we have not been able to identify this beautiful Eumig projector (i.e model, exact production year, film gauge).

We would deeply appreciate any assistance

I attach a photoImage

Thank you in advance.
Brian Saberton

Re: Eumig projector

Post by Brian Saberton »

According to a book I have on classic home movie projectors this looks like it could be a Eumig Super projector which was for 9.5mm film and produced in the 1930's. eumig is an acronym for Elektrizitats Und Metallwaren Industrie Gesellschaft of Austria. Over the years Eumig made vast quantities of reliable well engineered home movie projectors mainly in the standard 8 and super 8 formats.
Brian Saberton
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Thanks for sharing the info Brian. I used Eumigs for many years and never knew where the name came from or that the firm produced projectors for 9.5mm. I still have several Eumigs which I used for transferring film to video becuase of the ease of matching the speed to the camcorder. Good machines but a pity about the Hum which Eumig never admitted to.
Ora

Post by Ora »

Thank you Brian for sharing this valuable information!

Although we do not know if the projector works properly as the belts are missing and the cable has been worn off. However its switches are in place and they seem to work, the lamp is also in good condition (no signs of cracks in either glass and spiral) the lens has no dents or scratches and the metal parts bear no signs of rust, which is peculiar enough if you ask me given the fact that it has been stored neglectfuly.

The projector will be put on a display along with other historical equipment that we have found, mind that the building of the school has been erected in 1911.

Regards
Christos
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

And Eumig is pronounced 'Oi-mig' in Austria.
Richard Ward

Post by Richard Ward »

Hello all,

I have a Eumig 9.5mm "Super Projector" in good shape but with a maddening problem -- it can't hold the loop. It slips one frame fairly frequently until I have to tug the lower loop to restore it.

I have tried pressing a bit harder on the gate, thinking that the film might be slipping, but that doesn't help. I have also tried taking pressure off of the gate, but still get the same problem.

The problem occurs on all of my prints, so the culprit is definitely the projector.

Does anyone have an idea for a fix?

Many thanks,

Richard
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Most likely to be the claw if you are sure it's not the gate assembly worn.
Henrik Wils

Post by Henrik Wils »

Hey there.

I've got my hands on this projector from a flea-market. I think it's very interesting. Unfortunately, it didn't come with the detachable arms that holds the rolls :(

If anyone have got the arms, and not the projector (or a broken projector etc), I would like to buy them.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

There are many models of the eumig projector, which model is yours? I don't know of any model with detachable arms. Yours might be with the arms missing but they are not meant to be detachable under normal circumstances. If your model is dual guage you will need slip- on reel centres to fit onto the arms.
Richard Ward

Post by Richard Ward »

The 9.5mm "Super Projector" has detachable arms.
Henrik Wils

Post by Henrik Wils »

The exact one in the photo. If they weren't detachable, why does it have a finger screw in the center?
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hi Projector Guys:

Read the posts with interest because I've just had a Std8mm Super8mm dual Eumig sound projector repaired and serviced at an incredibly reasonable cost. The claw in the gate had broken off. (One of two projectors).

It is absolutely imperative that the "claw" is retracted from the gate by turning the inching knob on the back end of Eumigs
ensuring the white or red dot on it is exactly at the top...12 0'clock position BEFORE changing the gate. - (on the 9.5s this might be the knob at the bottom on the side). This must also be done BEFORE removing any broken film from the gate, otherwise the "claw" will break off.

My repair was carried out swiftly by Mr. John White, Stanmore, Middlesex in four working days! 'Phone, usually between 11am and 6pm 020 8204 8434. e-mail: John@whitejohn7 .orangehome.co.uk (Note the gap between the 7 and the . (dot)

Web Site: Google - John White Projector Repairs and select him from the list - he has several "clickables" OR http://www.the8mmshedshop.co.uk/index.html .

As for drive belts apart from the above I noted during my research quite a number on Amazon.

Hope this helps any one requiring such.

Cheers; LEE. :D
Eric Shepherd

Post by Eric Shepherd »

There are many models of the eumig projector, which model is yours? I don't know of any model with detachable arms. Yours might be with the arms missing but they are not meant to be detachable under normal circumstances. If your model is dual guage you will need slip- on reel centres to fit onto the arms.[/quote]
From the photograph it looks earlier than the one I acquired recently, for which I've been trying to establish its age. The last estimate is around 1955, however IMO it's earlier with its exposed drive train. BTW the spool arms (8mm) detatch & fold to enable the assembly to fit into the fitted case. The projector has now been stripped as it will only be used for static display, if anyone is interested in acquiring the parts, including lamp & motor assembly PM me. Haven't fathomed how to post pictures on here yet but will add some when I find out.
Eric.