MAGIX Edit Pro 17

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Pqtrick

MAGIX Edit Pro 17

Post by Pqtrick »

Movie MAGIX version Pro 17. While there is an item on the IAC site about version 15, I cannot see that there is much difference in the latest version. I have used MAGIX since version 10 and then a later update. These earlier versions, as is with 'Premier' will not run on Win7 64bit.

However, the technos are not the purpose of my post. I need a simple and reasonably economical editing pack, to do no more then cut and glue video together and have an logical filing system.

With the recent invitation from MAGIX to try version Edit Pro17 for seven days, I thought was worth a try. Especially that is has now been extended by another 22 days.

But, while it is essentially easy on the pocket to buy, I really still find it, deficient in a number of ways. While it looks simple for a beginner, is has the appearance that it could contain some useful features. It doesn't and the manual lacks a lot in explanation.

I find that it has a number of frustrating faults, particularly with the filing of the storage of clips and how they are referenced. It has a monitor screen, where you can preview the clips. It gives the impression that you can trim a clip using the { } markers and then drag it into the time-line, but it just does not work that way. I find that I am editing full clips ahead along the time-line and then once trimmed moving them back into position.

It lacks sequence markers and or a means of grouping clips together and storing them temporarily. Perhaps I am expecting too much from it. It is headlined 'Pro' and has sort of sophisticated gizmo’s and tools within the programme. Yet to me it fails to get a grips with what I feel are the basic functions.

I still feel that Edius Neo albeit more pricey is going to suit me better.
ned c

Re: MAGIX Edit Pro 17

Post by ned c »

Rather late in answering but have a look at the Sony Home Studio products.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/homestudio

I have version 9 of Vegas Home Studio which works very well with AVCHD and HDV, it will also create Blu Ray compatible DVDs. There is a package that includes Sound Forge Studio, an excellent sound management/editing program plus a music composing program. My PC is fairy basic with 2 GB of RAM and a 2.8 ghz dual core processor. I use a firewire external Hard Drive.

You can get a free trial download from the website.

ned c
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Hi Ned, Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at the Vegas software you mentioned and perhaps download a trial to see how it functions. I don't need any other than standard DV at the moment. I have found MAGIX a little disappointing and less stable than the earlier edition I had.

Apart from the points I mentioned in my post, MAGIX when running with about 10 minutes of video on the time-line, just keeps sticking and jumping and sometimes it freezes. Whereas, Edius Neo ran without a problem and even ran well without a problem on my older PC.

It may be my machine, but I have a fast processor with 8gb of RAM.
Do I gather from a previous post, you were in the UK recently, which part do you hail from? My home town is in Warwickshire.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Patrick, I checked and you can purchase Vegas 10 Studio Platinum from Amazon UK for around GBP60; so the cost is reasonable. If you do decide to go to AVCHD in the future the advantage of Vegas is that it edits it natively and does not create a proxy with a rise in the file size, unlike FCP which I also use that makes an Apple Intermediate Codec from AVCHD with an 8 fold file size increase! I'm a Brummy originally, lived in London for many years then clattered around the world living in the USA, Norway, Egypt and Hong Kong at various times. On my recent trip I enjoyed a visit with Dave and Jan Watterson and lunch with Michael Slowe; it's nice to leave the cyber world from time to time and meet the real people.
Let us know how you go with your quest for software,

ned c
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Can highly recommend Vegas Movie Studio 10. Platinum. It's cheap and does everything you ask of it. I have tried Magix 15 and can't get on with it at all , all my colleagues dumped it as well. The manual is useless to the layman, the company takes days to answer a query and half the time can't cure it. With Vegas you can do most things without a manual as it has built in inter active tutorials that make it dead easy to operate the basics. There is a very good forum to get immediate answers and there are many many tips and tutorials on You Tube. I also use Adobe Pro 2 but now prefer Vegas at a fraction of the price.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

I have absolutely no doubt in recommending Edius Neo 2.5 or Booster as it is known.

Whilst it is more expensive it will do all you need, it is simple to get to grips with and once on your PC I am sure that you will not need to upgrade it.

As Edius Neo 3 is just about to be released if you purchase wisely then you should qualify for a free upgrade.

Neo can handle all file types natively, and the Edius range is regarded as the best most stable editing family out there and unlike Premiere CS5 it does not need a top of the range PC to run it.

I have also used Magix and to us a football analogy it is simply Sunday league standard compared to Neo's Premier league status all other software in this sector of the market are stickly lesser divisions when compared to Neo.

If you have a look at the posts on dvdoctor.net you will see that it is highly recommended by all who use it.

Download the trial version and check it out, you will not be dissapointed.

Regards
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Thanks for your comments folks. I have downloaded a trial of Vegas as suggested, and it looks good. It appears to be very stable and I like the file structure. It has features and tricks which need to be adapted to but as you have said the help pages readily give the answers.

Will I buy? It looks a good contender as it is very easy on the pocket. I still perhaps favour Eduis Neo but it is more expensive and you have to buy a hard copy. So for English it will have to be the UK and the 20% VAT is looming. Yes Col Lamb, thanks I have expired my evaluation copy of Neo and it is very good.

Now a reply to Ned C. A Brummie hey! I was at college in Bham during the early 60's. You seem to have really gone places. Apart from Europe and one visit to Scotland, I have not ventured far. I thought going to Bham in the days of the end of steam and the advent of diesel 'railcars' as they were known, was going places.

I have found a interesting site of old photos of Brum. If you are interested: http://www.photobydjnorton.com The background to the photos is quite fascinating. It has the ring about it of the BIAFF winning film 'Amateur Author'

I have had some contact by email with the sites' author, placing a couple of pics outside Birmingham. If you have memories of old Brum it is worth a look. I'll keep you updated of my progress with Vegas software. Oh! in a previous post, I was trying to find a solution to how to get .MOV QuickTime files taken on a still camera as video, into a soft ware to edit it. Vegas appears to handle this without a problem. - Patrick
leif

Post by leif »

I do not understand the quite negative attitude to Magix.
I my opinion the basic task when you want to try a new editing program will be to spend enough time.
the problem with Magix is, that it in some aspects act different compared to Premiere. But I am sure you all can sort it out.

We are comparing programs in quite different price level. I am not sure about the UK prices, but in Denmark the prices are roughly: Magix DKK 750, Premiere DKK 20.000 (yes 20k) and Edius Neo 3.000.
And they are all capable of doing a proper editing job. Amazing!

In my opinion the important thing is to find a user interface that you feel comfortable with. All programs can perform the basic editing tasks, and since we got digital, video quality is equal. If you don't like the interface - find another you like better.

There are lots of user fora out there. Try for instance:
agix User Board http://support.magix.net/boards/magix/i ... wforum=128[/
or
Magix Movie Edit Pro Userboard http://mepusers.ning.com/

or you may feel tempted to to check at [url]http://www.Magix.net/gb/[/url] for supplementary information. They offer the Magix Movie Edit Handbook at 30£ or DVD at 20 £.
http://www.magix.com/gb/books-dvds/ (May also be available at Amazon).
Last edited by leif on Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Patrick, Thanks for the link; the Internet is the most amazing place, I enjoyed Mr Norton's photos and his life story.
ned c