H2 ZOOM DIGITAL RECORDER

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy1

Re: H2 ZOOM DIGITAL RECORDER

Post by Roy1 »

Tim. Thanks for your kind offer. I am trying to find out how to transfer audio from the minidisc recorder to the timeline of Adobe Pro and Vegas 10. With no success as yet. I've downloaded a manual and it gives no indication of how to do it. It must be possible as so many people have used it for this purpose, but, as far as I can ascertain it has no DV outlet nor a USB socket and has only a line output. Perhaps someone will put me right. If not I may go for Zoom H2 which I can get for £60 at the moment. I'll get back to you as soon as I get the info. I require. Regards Roy
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Yes, it'll be line-out from the MD and card-out from the H2, another point in its favour. You may care to look at the Zoom H4N, a far nicer machine than the H2.
Last edited by tom hardwick on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tom. As you suggested I had a look at the details of the H2n and indeed it seems to be a very good product, but at my time of life It might not be cost effective. Also it does far more than I would ever want from it. All I want is a good recorder to make voice overs and perhaps some background recordings on a machine that will transfer to an HD video editing programme without any hassle. I have been using a Sony walkman cassette tape recorder with a Seinheisser R300. But I think its time that I came out of a time warp. I have looked at Zoom H1 and it seems to fit the bill as well as being less expensive. Any comments on this model.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The H1, H2 and H4 are all very good recorders and if you only need it for voice-overs then the H1 should be more than good enough. In fact the Sony BX112 I mentioned earlier would be fine, and the only real reason it's so cheap is that it only records in MP3. Not that that's a problem, your NLE will handle that ok.

tom.
fraught

Post by fraught »

I've ordered the H2... will give you my thoughts once it's arrived and i've had time to play with it. :)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Fingercuff

Post by Fingercuff »

I have the H4n and have been really happy with it so far!
Arthur Bates

Post by Arthur Bates »

I have a H2 recorder and find it very good but when I used my Stennheiser 400 as an external mic.I got a whistle above my audible range but younger audience found it ruined the track. the cause I have not yet traced but fear it's the external mic. The built in mic. is very good and if this can be used I question the need for any other. I am abit of a miser I suppose. Arthur B.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Arthur Bates wrote:I have a H2 recorder and find it very good but when I used my Stennheiser 400 as an external mic.I got a whistle above my audible range but younger audience found it ruined the track. the cause I have not yet traced but fear it's the external mic. The built in mic. is very good and if this can be used I question the need for any other. I am abit of a miser I suppose. Arthur B.
I would seem that otherr contributors have complained of this whistle, are there any people who can tell us which external mic. does not cause this whistle
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I am in the midst of bidding for an H1 recorder with package and I notice the blurb states the recorder can be attached to a camcorder. Is it only certain models it can be attached to as I understand that the recorder has a screw socket for attaching to a camcorder, My camcorders also have a screw socket for mounting on tripods etc. If the recorder is mounted on the camera and plugged into the mic. imput will it keep sync during an interview. Logic tells me it would as it's recording on the tape as is the image. But I've learnt my logic is not always shared by the equipment.
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Roy, there are two aspects to your post.

1. If you want to mount it on your camera, you will need something which will fit into your hot/cold shoe and provide a screw onto which you can mount the mic.

2. If you want to use te mic input in your camera (ie simply use the H1 as an external mic) you will need a 3.5mm jack/jack lead to connect the audio out from the H1 to the mic in ofthe camera. This will result in perfect sync, as you suspect. However you are then taking an analogue signal into the camera and digitizing that within the camera, thus bypassing the circuitry within the zoom which is designed specifically for that. Will you hear a difference? Only your ears will tell you that.

As an aside i would suggest that mounting it on your camera partly defeats the idea of having a separate mic/recorder as the main benefit is being able to get the mic closer to the sound source.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Tim. I take on board what you say, and yes you make sense. My main reason for using the recorder fixed to the camera is because of previous experiences. I have used a Seinheser 300 mic attached to the camera and I found it picked up a lot of traffic noise whilst I was doing an interview. I also used the Camera's built in mic. with subject being interviewed abou 15 ft. away with the road behind the camera. Actually the camera mic. had better sound quality than the Seinhiser but it also picked up a lot of traffic noise behind the camera. As the Zoom H1 claims to ignore sounds behind it, I thought I'd give it a try. On a busy street it is not always possible to use a seperate mic. with a trailing lead, especially if you are a one man band like I am, and the interviews are off the cuff with total strangers and not rehearsed. Roy
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

The H1's claims are ludicrous Roy, and the only way to cut down on the traffic noise is to close mic the speakers or move away from the traffic. You won't have to have cables - a simple hand-clap 'clapper-board' mark before each interview will allow you to get timeline sync using the wild audio very quickly.

tom.
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Just to let you know I have received my H1 recorder . It arrived Via EBAY by Royal Mail the very next morning after ordering. Mighty quick. Well done Royal Mail. I am highly delighted with the recorder,especially the in built mics. Better sound reproduction than some of the more expensive mics I have pocessed over the years. Roy
TimStannard

Post by TimStannard »

Glad to know it was worth all the discussion, Roy.
Tim
Proud to be an amateur film maker - I do it for the love of it
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I came across a problem with the HI. Silly really. It took me several hours to discover how to transfer audio to the PC using the USB cable. If only the manual supplied had indicated that you don't switch on the recorder when trying to transfer. Never mind, alls well that ends well and it proves that the 84 year old grey matter still functions, if only slowly at times.