Make a Blu-Ray DVD without a Blu-Ray burner or Blu-ray disk

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
billyfromConsett

Make a Blu-Ray DVD without a Blu-Ray burner or Blu-ray disk

Post by billyfromConsett »

I've just made my first Blu-ray disk - with a 20 minute movie encoded to 1920 x 1080, without a blu-ray burner or disk.

Method:

I had an edited movie shot 1440 x 1080 with some stills and 16mm footage clips.
Exported it, via Adobe CS4 with H.264 Blu-ray codec, 1920 x 1080 at the default settings Adobe Media Encoder had. So I had a movie file and a sound file.
Imported these assets into Adobe Encore and designed a simple project - with the Blu-ray option chosen.
Exported project as an image file with .ISO filetype.
Used Nero 9 to burn the image file on a standard 25p 4.5gb DVD disk.

Result - a 3gb image (20 min) that plays in excellent quality on my Blu-ray player and plasma telly.

Anyone else doing this? Maybe it's quite common, but I thought I'd share. :mrgreen:
Michael Slowe

Re: Make a Blu-Ray DVD without a Blu-Ray burner or Blu-ray disk

Post by Michael Slowe »

Billy, yes I've heard of this and someone did a workshop presentation on it but I'm darned if I can remember where I saw it, sorry. Presumably your object is to get BD quality without having to get a BD burner - nice work if you can get it - as the song goes.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I think I reported on another thread; here is how I do it on a Mac based system:

1920 x 1080 (or 1440 x 1080) video edited in FCP7 exported as a Quicktime movie, maximum time about 20 minutes

Load Standard DVD into the standard DVD burner, open Toast Titanium 9, with the Blu-Ray plug in, select Blu-Ray and drag the QT movie into the program, create title info,etc, select burn. Result; a high definition Blu-Ray playable disc. My Sony Blu-Ray player sees it as an AVCHD disc rather than BD but plays perfectly.

ned c
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Not as strange as it seems as the MPEG2 (DVD) specification is incorporated in MPEG4 (Blu-ray) specification.

This amongst other things ensures that DVD's will play in Blu-ray players, ie its backward compatible.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

I find it much simpler and quicker to use a blu-ray burner to place HD videos onto a Standard DVD. By that I mean I go straight from the timeline to the burner using a Standard DVD and up to now have managed to place 30 mins of HD onto the DVD. 8)