POSITIVE IDEAS FOR 'Film & Video Maker' ARTICLES

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Willy

Re: POSITIVE IDEAS FOR 'Film & Video Maker' ARTICLES

Post by Willy »

tom hardwick wrote:Interesting to read the thoughts here on FVM's content and I must say I hadn't realised the general feeling that technical topics were not particularly liked or wanted.

tom.
Oh, Tom. I like your technical topics in FVM very much. Please, go on with it. Don't you remember that I talked about buying a new camera ? I hesitated and I read your article about two cameras again. It appeared about one year ago. I only fear that some friends would only like to read about technical topics and actually they never make any films. I am just the opposite : I make films, but I don't understand discussions in my club about pixels and other things. I still think that the man behind the camera makes the film and not the camera itself. But I am sure you agree with this. In FVM there must be room for technical topics and you are the man for it. That's my opinion.
Willy Van der Linden
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Tom - this may be a back-handed compliment ... but your column never feels "technical".

In the first place it is well-written and often spiced with humour. In the second it is exactly the sort of "hands-on" information which is so difficult to get elsewhere. We can all read "specs" from manufacturers but those only tell part of the story.

I think the sort of pixel-counting stuff has very limited appeal - and that's what I think of as "technical". There is a place for it, but not a large one!

So please, please, please keep on as you are doing. It is a favourite read and the first page many of us turn to when a new FVM arrives.

Dave
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Hey, you guys are now on my birthday party list!
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

There is a thread discussing some aspects of burning DVDs (viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2684) and Ian Woodward, who began it, says in a post today:
"I really do think this whole subject would make a great feature in FVM, because it is clearly a minefield.

It would certainly be interesting to know how many IAC members are conscious of all the pitfalls that are out there when it comes to burning to DVD. I, for one, had no idea that, in order to achieve pin-sharp DVDs, so much technical know-how is necessary."
So I make a note here ...
Dave
ned c

Post by ned c »

May I add my thanks to Tom for his articles in F&VM. Usually my first stop, informative, useful and to the point, and very well illustrated, I also like it that Tom "names names", many writers become very coy when it comes to saying where the problems lie. Thanks Tom.

In addition to Tom's writing I like Ken Wilson's column, another writer who tells it like it is and can be amusing with it.

I like Col Lamb's writing on AVCHD and associated things, hope this becomes a regular as this CoDec expands and develops we need practical experience with it to refer to.

So what do I look for in articles in F&VM? Real world experience, practical hands on knowledge shared with insight, Festival reports with details of the winners, the makers bio and a guide to where I can find their work on line. Well written "how we made it" stories. Inexpensive solutions; e.g. a $5 crane, $10 tracking system, the $15 stedicam system - do they really work? (OK I made those up but you see where I am going).

What don't I like - why reproduce the Forum comments? Point readers to the forum to read the original threads even if they don't want to take part; I really must assume that with the widespread use of NLE people have access to the internet if only to upgrade their software. I know how difficult it is to edit a magazine/newsletter and fill the space but please try and avoid the press releases for remotely associated stuff.

There is a suggestion to take articles from the club newsletters; an excellent idea as many of us don't have access to these other sources of info.

Just my five cents worth!

ned c
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I love this thread! Lots of ideas coming.

My links with the film appreciation societies have long made me realise that their clubs have many of the same issues as ours do. But a good idea on their website is a series of articles about clubs - possibly email interviews in some cases - an idea we might copy.

If you are interested take a look at
http://bffs.org.uk/aboutus/aboutthesect ... exhibitor/
and also follow up the link to their archive of such articles.

- Dave
Lee Prescott

Post by Lee Prescott »

Hi Tom H and all,

:shock:

I must've missed something / a page / but who's suggesting that Tom's articles are (too) technical? Rubbish! If they were I wouldn't read them 'cos technicity drives me almost nuts!

I put that criticism in the same pigeon hole as replacing Garth as Editor, ridiculous! Keep going Tom. I don't know how you always delve so deeply but your articles are well written, well presented and always of interest. Further, it must take up a lot of your time and all this is appreciated by many who do not subscribe to this Forum. Believe it.

:P

*** Thread: Burning DVDs. Dave Baffled, all mine are burned / performed on a Casablanca (as is the editing) and copied on a pro. duplicator as and when required. (Last lot was an order for 400 DVDs)! Two weeks ago I was told by third parties that they thought they were shot on HD and not SD as they are.

:o Cheers, Lee.
fraught

Post by fraught »

Does anyone want to cover the 'Red Carpet Screenings Festival' in Basingstoke on the 24th September?

It's a Film Festival showcasing lots of local talent... and everyone is under 40! ;-) It's being used to encourage young film makers to get into this wonderful artform, as well as helping to promote a growing community spirit.

I'm rubbish at writing articles! So if anyone else would like to do it... let me know! :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net