Adobe Premiere CS 5

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
col lamb

Adobe Premiere CS 5

Post by col lamb »

Hi folks

As you are aware Adobe Premiere CS5 is out there and in theory has some very nice features but it does require a fast PC with a 64 bit operating system such as Windows 7. The new Mercury rendering engine seems to offer very good performance with the right graphics card. Now the rub, on Adobe's demo video the card they use retails at about £2000, me I want two computers for that price.

Whilst doing some research I found: -

http://www.studio1productions.com/Artic ... ereCS5.htm

which gives a hack enabing unsupported and lesser specified cards to be used.

So if you have CS5 and are having problems or are just plain nosey then do have a look

Col Lamb
Preston
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Geoff Addis

Re: Adobe Premiere CS 5

Post by Geoff Addis »

Col,

Thanks for that link. Good information that should be read by anyone interested in CUDA and CS5.

Geoff
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

I've got the full CS4 Production Premium Suite, which from the experience I've got with it, works and integrates well enough. But I installed the CS5 trial to see if 64bit Premiere did render more quickley - using more CPU and memory power of my rig to convert files and output HD movies.

Unfortunately the trial has both HDV and AVCHD disabled, so I can't make any comparisons of 32 v 64bit.

It might do even more if I hack the app to run with my GTX260 graphics, but I didn't get that far ...

CS4's good though.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

I have been playing around with the CS5 Productuion Suite for a while now and I have found it to be quite an improvement over CS4. Premiere still lags behind Edius's real time performance in the effects and rendering departments, but not as much as CS4. Similar tests were made using the same clips on the the same PC and as an example of the difference in performace, when applying colour correction + Y curves + sharpen filters to adjacent clips with a cross-fade transition in Premiere the time line needed to be rendered if you wanted to see a jerk-free, full resoltion preview; but Edius played the same sequence back perfectly without the need to render, even with more filters applied. Of course, the advantage of tighter integration with AE, Encore and Photoshop is a strong point in favour of CS5, but I still think that Sony Vegas, or better still, Steinberge Nuendo, offer a more professional sound capability than Sound Booth.

The tests were made using EX1r footage and on a 3.06GHz i7, Windows 7 64 bit based computer with 6GB of RAM and 2TB RAID hard drives, but without the benefit of a CUDA graphics card (needed for accerated effects in Premiere). The Matrox MX02 mini with FAST provides better than real time rendering to H.264 and some accerated wipe transition and colour correction effects on the timeline.

Firecoder Blue provides similar acceleration to H.264 rendering for Bluray directly from the timeline, but it does not provide additional timeline efects (not really needed with Edius's performance). The MX02 also provides component and HDMI connectivity plus a colour calibrated output to your video monitor. Edius requires an additional card such as GV's SPARK to provide HDMI or component outputs, but this does not have the colour calibration facility of the MX02.

No doubt additonal RAM and the use of an apporpriate CUDA based graphics card will improve Premiere's real time performance and probably bring it close to that of Edius, but such a card is going to be quite a costly upgrade.

I hope this will be of interest to those of you who are considering upgrading to CS5.

Geoff
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

Additional comments regarding CS5:

I have now added an ASUS GTX460 graphics card (ASUS's over-clocked version) and the results are very encouraging; in general, the real time performance is similar to that of Edius and I find that together with the MX02 mini + FAST the system provides a very adequate platform for editing 1920 x 1080 footage from the EX1r.

The GTX460 is not listed in Adobe's approved CUDA capable cards, but it is a simple matter of only adding the card name to the appropriate file in Premiere's folder to get it to be accepted. Another suitable card is the GTX470, this may offer an even better increase in performance, but at the cost of needing an extra 100W in the recommended power supply (450W as against 550W) and an additional inch in the length of the card (9.5 inches as against 8.5 inches). Another advantage of the 460 is its lower fan noise than the 470.

Geoff.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Thanks for your technical input Geoff. You make it sound like Edius (because it doesn't need a 64bit processor amongst other things) is quite a bargain alongside a version of Premiere that has been boosted to do the same work as quickly and quietly. As you say, Adobe's integration of auxiliary programmes is excellent, but at a cost. Is this a fair assessment?

tom.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

It's good info Geoff. Thanks for that also. I couldn't do that comparison. It should be worth me getting it, as long as my teacher wife buys it ... Couldn't afford it otherwise.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

The reason that I got CS5 was that I mainly wanted to update Photoshop and the educational discount was too big an attraction to miss!

Edius has long been my software of choice and it remains so. It is very stable (I have yet to judge PP CS5), and very quick to use; simple things like double clicking over a clip or transition in the timeline resulting in the In and Out markers being placed around that clip or transition to facilitate rendering is just one of many great timesavers. Edius also comes with more transitions and effects than PP5 and it has a very good colour correction filter.

I have the current versions of Vegas, FCP, PP and Edius and for the type of work we do I feel that Edius leaves the others standing.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Yet nobody seems to want to buy Grass Valley I hear. Odd when Edius has such a great and devoted following, disciples who constantly spread the word.
ned c

Post by ned c »

The rumor is that a venture capital group are bidding for Grass Valley, the NLE software is a very small part of their product list. I have been stuck with FCP since v2 (now at 7) and have often contemplated moving elsewhere. The problem is that the higher end NLE market is dominated by Avid, Apple and Adobe; sadly the others are also rans and in danger of extinction. Media 100 hangs on by its fingernails, I have a colleague who uses Vegas and loves it, Edius? Wonder if it will still be here a couple of years from now? The problem is that as new OS and CoDecs appear the software has to keep up, slip a couple of generations and its all over.

ned c
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

To answer your question, Ned, I do hope that it is.

GV are very strong in the broadcast digital production and distribution environment and from what I've heard from GV, they consider Edius to be an important part in this area's future growth. Broadcast news is certainly using it and I know that it is in use by the BBC; although not so common as the other name that you mention. It is also being used by a number of US broadcaster, including some major players.

I have writen about my experience with Edius compared to FCP several times and I remain convinced that for the type of work that we do it far outperforms FCP; real time performance and the included Mercalli image stabilizing program leaves FCP's version way behind. Don't get me wrong, there are some very good aspects to FCP and the other programs in the suite eg. it's ability to work within a networked editing environment and Color, but neither DVDpro or Soundpro really excite me; all in all I think that it has outlived its shelf life!

I suspect that CS5 will be considered by many as an alternative to FCP when the time comes for an upgrade, but who knows, Apple might just do something great with the next edition.

Geoff
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

Ned,

I forgot to mention that Edius is usually the first to have updated codecs, AVCHD was one in point, so I don't think that there is anything to worry about there.

Geoff
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Whilst we have many DV/DVD movies still being produced and shown, the editing software going back many generations still works very well.

The problems only exist when upgrading your camcorder to a new AVCHD model in that a new set of problems have to be overcome.

That said once you have CS5/Edius 5.5/Edius Neo 2.5 and a fast enough PC that should be it for a good number of years.

If you have a good quality AVCHD camcorder/DSLR then what else do you need. It does not necessarily matter if the editing software manufacturer does not support the product anymore. The software produces great looking HD movies, burns Blu Ray/DVD's.
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb