GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Pqtrick

GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER

Post by Pqtrick »

I am blighted by a problem with the graphics card or driver I have on my computer. The computer is only months old and out of a box.

I am continually getting this error message (en Francais) and it is somewhat making me get even more frustrated that I am with my computer..

'0x117 Nvidia time-out driver restart'. The screen just freezes and then blacks-out and takes a little time to recover. Generally, it it when scrolling, orientating something on the screen or dragging a clip along the time-line when editing.

The error is:
Display driver NVIDA Window Kernal Mode driver, version 197.45 stopped responding and has successfully recovered.

My graphics card is Force GT 220 and the driver is the latest.

Now, my knowledge is limited and I am only really repeating the information I have gathered. If I consult both Microsoft and NVIDA, it refers to the problem and there is a lot of jargon, but there is no apparent solution indicated.

Somewhere it is suggested that the problem is due to 'time out' of the graphics driver, and the time-out settings can be changed in the BIOS.(but this is aimed at the suppliers not consumers) I don't fancy delving into the BIOS, it is beyond me anyway. There is also something I read that problems like this can occur when the computer RAM is greater than 6Gb, I have 8Gb Ram on this computer.

Does anyone out there have any ideas how or where I can get a solution to this problem? Thanks.

(An almost PS, I have found a forum, but it suggests a subscription to download as a solution to the problem, I am not game to that as I think it should come from the suppliers).
Alternative4u

Re: GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER

Post by Alternative4u »

Hello, just to let you know that I too have a HP desktop PC with the same screen driver that you have, I too had the same error messages come up often.
You need run time on your PC, no do not panic you do not need to run, it is a file your PC needs to run graphics called Directx and without this your problem will not get better.
You go to Microsoft web site, look at the link that say's downloads, find DirectX in that dir for YOUR windows version, that may be Win 7 as myself, or maybe Vista I have no idea what you are running.
Hit the DirectX file, it takes seconds to download, when it has you hit it with left mouse button twice fast, it will tell you please wait, and the file will install okay?
After doing this re-boot your PC and with fingers crossed you should like my PC be fine.
from
David just joined here today.
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Thanks for the reply. I beleived that I already had downloaded Direct X or had an application which told me that it was required. However, I down loaded it again.

The problem is that it is no better and the screen just locks momentarily, goes black and recovers with a very kind message that it had not had to shut down completely. It makes editing frustrating because many times you do something in the time-line is happens frequently.

Any one else had this type of problem?
Alternative4u

Post by Alternative4u »

Hello Patrick,
Try this to see if it solves your problem, follow everything as it is here and your PC will not get hurt okay?
Go into Control Panal.
Look for Device Manager icon.
Hit it to open a full list of all your PC hardware.
Look for Display adaptors, hit that, and your current driver will be seen okay?
Now put your mouse on that driver you can see, high-light it only by putting mouse on it, now press the right-hand mouse button and a list will pop up,
The one you hit is what says> update driver, hit that while you are on the internet, and your PC will look for better screen driver, and load one up auto okay?
After that has ended, it will tell you to re-boot the PC.
Bye
David
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Thanks for the reply. It is appreciated. However, I have checked here and updated the driver. Although it reports the driver up to date. I have also re-installed it but the problem still persists. - Pqtrick
Alternative4u

Post by Alternative4u »

Hello Patrick, sorry to hear your problem did not resolve, maybe like a few more I have heard from you are going to need a better video card in your PC, as the type we both have are not compatible to lots of software today. My video card does not like Videowave that I like to use for video films, it also does bomb out every 2 min with my Magix video editing software, so I have bought another editing bit of software today and touch wood it is fine, heck I hope I have not spoke too soon.
David
Pqtrick

Re: GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER update

Post by Pqtrick »

A belated thanks and a reply to David's reply to my on going Graphic Card problem. The computer is new or new as of January, when I bought it. I bought it on the basis that it was right for the use I needed it. If it needs a better graphics card, what should it be? It is an off the shelf computer, but my previous one a Medion which only has one sixteenth of the RAM on board is slow, but far more stable. Perhaps Dave W. was right when he suggested 'try putting some more RAM in your old computer first!'

As an update - I am still encountering problems with my NVIDA graphics card and or its driver. While the problem is identified, and described, there are so far no clear means of resolving it. There are numerous forum topics on the web, in many languages about the subject '0x117 Nvida Time-out driver restart'.

I gather it is something to do with the computer time out detection and recovery, what exactly this is I do not know. A later driver became available on the NVIDA site, so I excitedly down loaded it. The first throw of the dice, in fact scrolling down a page in 'open office' froze the computer. I had to re-boot it. Whereas, with the previous driver, it just froze for a moment and then recovered with a little flag telling me that is what it had done. It was just as bad in other applications and trying to scratch video on the time line, was just impossible. So I wound back to the previous driver. At least it is more tolerable. To me, it should work properly in the first place, I cannot, and don't want to, as some suggest fiddle around with settings in the BIOS to try and resolve the issue.

Trying to get help from the ACER help desk, was nigh on impossible. After exchanging a high number of emails, trying to verify everything from the computer's system down to the thread size of bolt which held the box together. They decided, after being initially being aware that the computer had been purchased in Europe, 'that they could not help, as the computers serial number was not on their system'.

The only other site they offered is a 'merry go round' one of questions and answers. When you run out of options the 'contact us' redirects you back to the trouble shooting page to start again.

So back to square un. I read somewhere that some graphics cards are susceptible to these problems and also if the amount of RAM on board is greater than 6gb, mine is 8gb being greedy.

Now guess what, to return it to the shop you have to have request number from a help desk. There can be only one person employed there in the whole of the country and they must be on a permanent tea, or snail break. - Mr. 'Not at all happy with his new computer'.
Alternative4u

Post by Alternative4u »

Hello Patrick, take a look at the link here, I am one of the people who work at this site the last few months, but I deal with Movie cameras not Computers, I am sure you will find help on this site okay? good luck, keep cool, very hot hear in Suffolk, just got back from Devon badly burnt.

http://www.fixya.com/
David
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Hi David, Thanks for that. I will give it a try as I am no further forward with a resolution.

We are off to visit the UK for a couple of weeks, so my computer will have to sit at home here and suffer. Hope the sun is still shining while we are over there. The temperature here in Lyon, is reckoned to be 36C today, this is too, too hot. I am looking forward to some cool green grass and rain in England. Pqtrick Villeurbanne France.
Pqtrick

Re: SULUTION!!!! GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER TIME OUT

Post by Pqtrick »

If anyone who has followed this post. I found a solution to this just at the end of December.

I was suprised that no solution was evident from the makers of the graphics card, yet I found countless posts on various forums describing exactly the same issue.

The screen froze and an error message appeared stating that the graphics card had timed out and had recovered. It hadn't, the screen remained black in places and it took time for it to refresh. it was very annoying and happended frequently.

I found a post on a forum by an enthusiast who claimed he had researched the problem and offered a solution. Another member of the forum posted that he had tried the solution and it had worked.

It was nigh on New Years Eve, if someone had suggested a solution to douse the computer in age old Glenfiddich and drop it out of the window, I may have tried it. As I had had this problem since the computer was new.

What I had to do was to create some fields and enter some values in the REGISTRY. An area of the computer which is as sensitive as turning the lights on in the dark room with a print in the developer.

The problem was that where I was to enter the information was not exactly precise. 'Look for the one with the most information in where the graphic card info is' it said.

So I did! I created the fields and typed in the values. I rebooted the computer and grovelled on my knees for a moment and problem had gone! The display works perfectly.

Perhaps it is a code to self destruct a some time in the computer, in the meantime (touchez le bois) everything is working well, frame rates are good, video does not freeze and cups of tea are delivered on demand.

What bugs me is why the makers and the computer suppliers and the merry windows lot, were passing the buck and sitting on their hands. And continual driver updates were making the problem worse.

It has restored my faith in Pere Noel! I am not quite sure now what to do with the bottle of Glenfiddich :D :D