Edius and Audio?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Pqtrick

Edius and Audio?

Post by Pqtrick »

Edius Audio?

Are there any Edius users out there.? In an earlier post, I mentioned that I was using a trial version of Edius Neo and have about ten days left before I decide to continue with it.

So far so good. It is a very good and intuitive programme especially for users who have had experience with other similar software.

I have finished a short five minute exercise successfully and then decided to output it to DV tape. However, the output to tape did not have the audio. Herein lies my problem.

I have checked all the settings I can, the render, selected the in out points for output etc. etc. I have looked long and deeply into the 600 page on line PDF manual but just cannot find any reference issues regarding audio when outputting to tape.

Now, the next stage of checking. While the camera was still connected to the computer, I opened a much earlier version of both Magix and Premier in turn and I output to tape successfully both sound and video.

The next course of action was to select another output mode. With Edius, there are, as with most editing programmes to either to 'print to tape' or 'print to file'. So with the next check I tried the latter.

The 'print to file' produces, in this case an *.avi file which worked with both video and audio successfully with Edius. Then you can open it into an available programme and make a tape.

I am obviously missing a trick here. The manual goes thro steps of showing how to output to tape which it basically easy and then the output to file is a little longer procedure which I am following OK but?...no audio with print to tape.

Any users of Edius out there who can help?
tom hardwick

Re: Edius and Audio?

Post by tom hardwick »

I've only just started using Edius so have little experience to call on, but I have a 1920x 1080 timeline that I recorded to MiniDV tape in DV SP simply by connecting Firewire from PC to VCR and playing the timeline. Haven't helped you much, have I? DVC sell an excellent 6 hour tutorial DVD that you might consider. It's for version 4, but realistically there are few differences.
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

Have a look in Settings > Hardware Settings > Generic OHCI > System Output Settings

Is the MUTE DV checked?
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

Thanks to Tom and Col Lamb.

Yes, I had found the settings tab you referred and the box is unchecked (Settings > Hardware Settings > Generic OHCI > System Output Settings). The box is unchecked.

Looking at the programme, the right hand screen (record) the audio bars register to presence of sound, but the audio bars do not register in the screen to the camera . Recalling that I do not any have any problem with either Magix or Premier.

The next question is: is it something 'mechanical'? I have no knowledge whatever of what the structure of the signal is when it is transmitted from the computer to the camera via the fire-wire. I presume it is an integral digital code, not a separate video/audio signal. So can I assume that I may not be setting Edius up correctly to output the time-line.

As Tom mentions in his reply, It is just a question of hooking up a recorder and it works. This is as I really expected, as other elements of Eduis work very well.

As an aside, I am using my older computer with XP to do my work. It functions reasonably well after stripping away the trappings of the firewall/ the orange 'interface/anti-virus/internet explorer' as it took an age to load with all the other paraphernalia of the internet. This computer now fires up within a few seconds. It does not have an internet connection so I assume that viruses are not airborne!

My other super, high speed windows 7 computer is currently assigned to being a web browsing and email tool. It has a multitude of problems from instability, out of date graphics driver, codex and other error messages, telling me it will not function because they are either incompatible or drivers are out of date. I have sussed out how to determine whether drivers are up to date on the makers websites.

I am getting to the point where it large brown box will have to be found and it dispatched back to ACER telling them that it is 'not fit for purpose'.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

It may be a limitation of the trial version, check on the Grass Valley Edius forum, but I suspect that it is basic finger trouble or an insallation problem as it works OK here.

Geoff
John C

Post by John C »

I have had this problem with the full blown version of Edius Pro which I find excellent haveing used Avid for some time.

I spoke to the Edius help line and the problem was caused by the settings on the Audio track being inadvertenly changed, (I was fiddling in an area I did not understand). The Cure was to right click on the start of the Audio track and them click on clear all tracks. No problems after that.

I hope this works for you on your version.

I Have found Edius excellent if a bit short on tutorials.