My problem with the projection of my HDV (Part 3) some answe

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Tony Grant

My problem with the projection of my HDV (Part 3) some answe

Post by Tony Grant »

My problem with the projection of my HDV (Part 3) some answers

After a lot of questions to all sorts of experts, amateur film maker’s professionals and any other person who would listen I think I have found the answers but I have also created some. I think I had my best discussion with an expert in creative and technical imaging who is also a lecturer at one of Belgium’s most reputed film schools.

These are some of his answers.

• Yes I could buy a calibrated monitor, and to get a good one would cost me a small fortune. In his opinion I would be wasting my money and would have no guarantee that my images would be any better.
• He reminded me that when we used to film in 8mm or 16mm etc in simple terms the film clips were placed in front of a light source and projected on a wall. “What you saw was what you had filmed and in some cases it was darker or lighter pending on the projector and you had to take an average in your settings that allowed the film to be presentable on any projector or situation, nothing has changed.
• He told me than many people had experienced the same problems that I had had and at film school the judges this year for the first time were being given a separate monitor so that they could take reference to images on the monitor as well as the projected image.
• He reminded me of course that in his opinion “Apple” is still the best and the image you see on there screens is still the most accurate, that is the basis of there success in the media world. If you have not got an Apple buy good quality computer screen(s) and if you want a HD monitor by the best you can afford from the domestic Sony range. “Hate the company” he said but love the product. (Set your monitor settings to average, do not enhance with screen settings)
The layout of my edit desk was also very important. This is his advice. Paint the wall behind the desk 80% grey and light it with a blue daylight lamp. Do not face a window when you are editing your eyes are picking up the bright light daylight so you are not seeing the blacks correctly. Similar is true if you try and edit in darkness.
• Read and learn about compression and what it means. The best sentence I found (Me) on the internet was “Some videos look great highly compressed, others don't. You'll have to experiment to get the best results.” and just as you older filmers did in the past try and think of the projected image and what the projector will do with that image. Think AVERAGE.
Important note. The life of the type of projector bought by a club or an individual is usually mid range at best; the life expectancy of these projectors is no more than 3 years. At his film school the projectors are changed every 2/3 years• Use the TV monitor you have bought on set if possible when making your film (Do not buy the biggest screen you can afford) then you will see what you are filming and you can make more accurate judgements about the lighting etc.
• When you review your film on your computer, if you find that you have to make BIG adjustments and colour changes re shoot it will be safer in the long run.
• Finally remember that professional colourists have had years of training and use colouring programmes costing thousands of pounds and this will not help you if you do not know how to use it.

I hope this will help someone else as it will help me, in my next film. The location is a Park in daylight.
It really is fantastic what you can learn from your misstakes.

Tony