Editing HD

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
kthwatts

Editing HD

Post by kthwatts »

I am new to this site. Although making movies from the old super8 cine days, I have been using camcorders for years and have owned several over the years.
My editing software of preference has always been Pinnacle Studio, despite it's occasional hiccups, and have been using version 11 ultimate for the last 2 years or so.
However, I have just purchased a new Panasonic HDC-TM700, capable of shooting in 1080 50p, and of course Pinnacle Studio 11 cannot cope with the HD output.
Does anyone have any experience of using Studio 12 with HD filming?
On the other hand I have just read the review on Magix Movie Edit Pro 15+, which from the screen shots appears similar to the way Pinnacle works.
My other consideration might be Adobe but I am open to any suggestions or opinions that anyone out there might have.
ned c

Re: Editing HD

Post by ned c »

Have a look at Vegas Studio Platinum, works well with HDV and AVCHD.

ned c
kthwatts

Post by kthwatts »

Thanks Ned. I'll do that later today.
Downloaded a trial version of Magix 16+ yesterday - not overly impressed on first try. Too fiddly in timeline editing.

Keith
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I am a great fan of Media 100. I edited on it ever since I moved from film 11 years ago and with the latest versions shoot XDCAM 1920 X 1080i and edit in HD, you can though ingest HDV through firewire. Media 100 (now owned and developed by Boris) is the most intuitive of all edit systems and is far easier to use than most. Great downscaling as well when you want SD from it, handles most codecs now and different aspect ratios.
kthwatts

Post by kthwatts »

Michael, thanks for that.
I had a look at the on line demonstration, and liked what I saw very much. However, then I checked the price - oops, just a bit more than I can justify to her that counts. Be ok if I was pro & earning money from it!

Ned - I have downloaded a trial version of Vegas, and although it is very different to use than Pinnacle, I think I might persevere for a while. 30 day trial period. We are off on holiday (volcanic ash permitting) so will play some more on our return.

Thanks to you both.
By the way, tried a download trial of the new Nero package. Not much use as the AVCHD authoring was turned off in the trial version.
Geoff Addis

Post by Geoff Addis »

Download a 30 day trial copy of Edius 5 - It is rock solid, proves better real-time performance than FCP, Premiere Pro CS4, Vegas or Magix.

Geoff
col lamb

Post by col lamb »

See the link to the AVCHD camcorders post which is in this section.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=2545.

Three things: -

1 - Try Edius Neo Booster, its way cheaper than Edius 5 (Edius 5.5 is coming out soon) and has all you are likely to need, it is also rock solid

2 - Your PC needs to be top of the range to handle AVCHD video NATIVELY, if your PC is not up to it you will have to transcode the files

3 - Avoid Magix, it needs a high spec PC and is very flaky with dubious tech support.

A Mac will need to transcode the files before you can edit.

Col Lamb
Col Lamb
Preston, Lancashire.
FCPX, Edius6.02, and Premiere CS 5.5 user.
Find me on Facebook, Colin Lamb
kthwatts

Post by kthwatts »

Hi there Col,
Thanks for the advice. May I pick your brain a little more please?
I have downloaded the trial Edius Neo 2 Booster & like the editing very much. Some of the terminology is a little over my head at the moment, but I assume this will be explained in the instruction book should I buy a boxed copy.
Although the trial movie I made ran very smoothly whilst editing, once I had burnt to DVD it was a little jerky when played back from the DVD onto TV.
My system consists of Intel Core 2 quad (4 x 2.4Ghz) 1066 Mhz processor
4 GB RAM
2 x 320GB hard drives raid 0 (all movie files stored on D drive).
Could it be that the processor speed is too slow? Would an upgrade to Core 2 quad 3GB possibly cure the problem?
Your opinion would be greatly appreciated
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Have been using Vegas movie studio platinum 9 pro pack for a few weeks to edit HDV and burn Blu-ray discs. No problems at all. I also have edited on Adobe pro 2 and transferred the edits to Vegas to burn Blu-ray with no bother at all.