Edit from Canon Legria HV 40

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Billy 56

Edit from Canon Legria HV 40

Post by Billy 56 »

I bought a new Desktop PC yesterday so I could edit from my new Canon Legria HV 40 , i also bought Pinnacle Studio 14 Ultimate...So far so good........I connected cam with firewire cabel..... When I clicked on Capture button , cam starts but nothing come up on the PC .....Called Pinnacle support ( Holland ) I live in Sweden.....Could find any wrong.....

So here I am New Cam new PC and no where to go ????

What to do ???

///Billy in Sweden

ps.....Here´s the mail from Pinnacle

Hi Billy,

Thank you for your reply.

As long as you cannot capture with AM Capture, then something is not the way it is supposed to be on your/output settings.

AM Capture as mentioned earlier is an Microsoft tool, and therefor it would be helpful to make sure you actually can transfere information from your camera to your computer.

I do understand that you can control your camera, but there is still something wrong.

It might be the firewire related (microsoft and your computer vendor can help you with that)

Therefor trying with another firewire cable might be a possible solution.

Yet as long as you do not have a picture within AM Capture, it is not a studio related issue.

The mode function you mentioned earlier is something that will become available when you have a picture up and running.

Let me know

Kind regards,
Valent
Avid Pinnacle Technical Support

Kind regards,
Valent
Avid Pinnacle Technical Support

Entered By : Customer ( Integration) Entered on : 3/19/2010 2:45 PM
AvidHi Valent

Ok im going to the shop now and change cable

BUT It does start the camera from the PC and the counter starts BUT now picture

One more thing

In the book on page 21 its says MODE and there is it Presets DV -MPEG -Customs

But on my PC its says AVI-MPEG-Customs ?????

///Billy
billyfromConsett

Re: Edit from Canon Legria HV 40

Post by billyfromConsett »

Make sure the camcorder is in play mode then use the capture tool to play the tape. You should see the footage playing on the camcorder and in the capture tool.
If thats happening click to record.

You may have to edit where the movie is captured to on the hard drive.
ADBest

Re: Edit from Canon Legria HV 40

Post by ADBest »

Billy, (both),

The settings on the HV40, depending on whether you are capturing SD or HD, need to be set up in the cam menu.

When I had a similar problem the following advice from 'BillyfromC' was very useful.

Having recorded footage to the Canon HV40 in HDV it is then necessary to output to Premier Pro 1.5 in standard definition. To set up the Cam to do this proceed as follows.

With the Cam in the ‘Play’ mode, and without any DV-out connection active, press the ‘function’ button and navigate to the HV40 MENU go to the “PLAY/OUT setup 1”. Using the joystick navigate to “PLAYBACK STANDARD” and select “A” (for auto).

Then go to the MENU option “PLAY/OUT setup 2”. Using the joystick navigate to “DV OUTPUT” and select “DV LOCKED”.

The footage can then be edited in Premier in the normal way.

(Obviously for Premiere read Pinnacle)

Hope this helps