Future of radio mics

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
ned c

Future of radio mics

Post by ned c »

http://www.macvideo.tv/camera-technolog ... Id=3210476

I remember that there was a question about the future of radio mics as some of the bandwith is lost. This interview explains the situation.

ned c
Michael Slowe

Re: Future of radio mics

Post by Michael Slowe »

Thanks for finding this Ned, it is a must view for all radio mic users. I thought that the interviewer was tending to be a bit alarmist and it does seem as though we have a few years before having seriously to consider new digital radio mics. The warning about frequencies is valid though. I have come up against the problem when there is other gear operating nearby and the question of legality raised in the interview might become important.

Tom Hardwick, a regular user of radio mics, are you reading this?
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I am indeed reading this Michael. There's a lot of alarm surrounding these frequency changes and communication being what it is these days, the fire gets a right proper fanning. I'm waiting till the flames die down a bit, then I'll assess the situation and take the steps needed. I won't be buying a new radio mic anytime soon though, and I pity those who feel they must.

tom.
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

The analogue 'switch off' seems to be the most concern to those who use radio mics in areas where other film crews have used up some of the frequency options.
Can you comment Tom, on whether the signals buzzing though the air from 2011, wherever you are, will just stop our Sennheiser kits from transmitting or receiving a signal?
In my limited experience, I've retuned my kit once from the standard shipping freq of 839.100MHz

The frequencies on offer on a G2 kit seem to be from 830.200MHz to 864.900MHz.
The interviewer seemed to suggest that the signals will just cease to be. Surely these analogue frequencies are vital when there isn't a digital alternative?
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I'm off to BVE (the Video Forum) next month, and I hope to gain some seriously accurate information there because I'm as confused by all this as much as the next person.
Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

See you there Tom, let's fix a day.
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

Some info:

864.3 MHz is *not* becoming obsolete.

The 863 to 865 MHz band is staying - it's legal all over Europe.

It is the frequencies *below* 862 MHz that are going.

There is a large chunk being sold off by the Government for mobile broadband. 862 MHz is the top frequency (currently the Ch.69 licensed mobile band) but I'm not sure what the low end frequency is.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

some decent info here....but be warned it is changing by the week as the government sidesteps any problems

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7870459.stm

still a lot more to come..... changes will be made...get an email off to your MP for starters

http://findyourmp.parliament.uk/

if you bought your radio kit after 30th June 2009 you will get no compensation...

but not many know exactly what is going to happen..... where have I heard that before...???
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

cor blimey how time flies ... it was back in July 09 when I asked this question on the forum !!
ned c has kindly resurrected it !!! --- sorry for the hijack ned :wink:

I asked Sennheiser if my Ew100 G2 system will be affected ... here is their response ...

De-regulated/license exempt frequencies – 863-865 MHz (in channel 70)
There are no plans for any changes in this de-regulated area of spectrum. Low channel count community users will be able to continue accessing this ‘free’ sub-band - 2MHz of channel 70. For example, with range E evolution G2 wireless microphone systems it is possible to run up to four compatible frequencies in this band, while with the new G3 systems this number increases to six. For many wireless microphone users in the MI, Houses of Worship, Corporate, Install and Retail markets this may well prove to be beneficial.

Channel 38 – the new channel 69?
Channel 69 (854-862 MHz) is unique in that it is the only nationally licensable TV band set aside for wireless microphone use right across the UK. Over the next three years wireless microphone users will have to vacate channel 69 as it has been designated as part of a larger spectrum band that will be re-allocated for new services, most likely mobile broadband. The UK regulator, Ofcom, has confirmed that, as a replacement for channel 69, an alternative TV band, channel 38 (606-614 MHz), will be made available for wireless microphone use. However, the whole of channel 38 is not currently available nationally for two main reasons:

1) Radio-Astronomy – the current users of channel 38 are not due to vacate the band until 1st January 2012. Consequently, there are certain areas of the UK that are currently ‘off-limits’.
2) Broadcasting - there will continue to be a need to protect analogue broadcasting in adjacent band channel 37, right up until DSO is complete, scheduled for the latter part of 2012. So again, there are regions where channel 38 is not currently available.
To complicate matters further, the availability of channel 38 differs dramatically depending on whether wireless equipment is being used indoors or outdoors. Consequently, our view is that there should be no great rush to occupy channel 38.

What about channel 69 – how long will it continue to be available?
We expect that channel 69 will continue to be available for wireless microphones and in-ear monitor use until at least the end of 2011, but most likely until DSO is complete, again, in the latter part of 2012. Ofcom have recently confirmed that channel 69 and all of the spectrum scheduled for re-allocation will be available to cover the London 2012 Olympics. Consequently, there is no immediate hurry to vacate the band.

What Spectrum is to be re-allocated for new uses/services?
Two blocks of spectrum are due to be re-allocated. The first block is commonly referred to as ‘the 800MHz band’ – the actual frequencies are 790 MHz to 862 MHz – channels 61-69 inclusive. The second block, lower down the frequency range, channels 31 to 37 (550 to 606 MHz), are also due to be re-allocated, however, plans for the re-use of this band are not as well advanced as they are for the 800 MHz band.

Conversion costs and timing
At time of writing it is not possible to predict precisely what costs will be associated with any conversion processes. This is because production costs have yet to be finalised. In terms of timescales for conversion of equipment, Sennheiser UK will work with our customers to efficiently plan practical schedules in order that the work can be successfully completed. Licensed channel 69 users may also receive financial assistance from HM Government or Ofcom. However, the details of the Government’s proposed funding scheme to assist with the migration from channel 69 have yet to be finalised. Sennheiser UK will issue further information when details of this scheme are finally released.

Current and future licensing of channel 38 – Current plans suggest that channel 38 will eventually be licensable in a manner similar to the existing arrangements for channel 69 – a national shared licence. At present, frequencies in channel 38 need to be licensed on a ‘where, when and for how long’ basis. When DSO is complete current thinking is that channel’s 39, 40, 41 and 42 will be licensable on an interleaved basis. However, during the transition period it is likely that channels 38, 39 and 40 will be available on a ‘coordinated shared’ basis. Again, work here is still on going and enquiries regarding current and future licensing arrangements should be addressed to JFMG Ltd. They can be contacted on 0207 299 8660.

In conclusion
So, as things currently stand, it is likely that equipment that tunes to the frequencies affected will continue to be useable until the third quarter of 2012. Sennheiser customers buying range E G3 equipment now will be able to have this equipment converted to new frequencies once the current on-going development work has been completed. Or, if fewer than 6 frequencies are required at a given location, then the licence exempt band will continue to offer a solution.

Whatever the future holds for wireless microphone and in-ear monitor users, Sennheiser UK will do all in its power to support and assist our customers – from maintaining our full engagement with the on-going debate to retain access to spectrum for wireless microphone users, to manufacturing the best wireless tools that enable our customers to make the most of that spectrum access.
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.