Canon Legria HV40 camcorder

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Ian Woodward

Canon Legria HV40 camcorder

Post by Ian Woodward »

Does anyone own a Canon Legria HV40? If so, can they please confirm that it records in both HD and SD mode?

I have Canon XL2 and I edit the MiniDV tapes via a PC and until I can afford to upgrade to a faster, more expensive computer for HD editing, I need to continue filming in SD to be able to use my current slower equipent.

Ian
ADBest

Re: Canon Legria HV40 camcorder

Post by ADBest »

Delighted to be able to make a technical contribution.

The Canon Legria HV40 records in HD and can download either HD or SD.

Arthur
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

The XL1 is a professional standard camera with excellent optics and a big zom lens. The limit is that it's standard defintion and won't do 16:9 very well.

I had a Sony VX2100 and wanted to make 16:9 movies, so I upgraded to a cam of similar or better optics as my old cam - and went for a Sony Z5. It has a 20x zoom and full manual controls of the lens with 3 neutral density settings.

If you sell your XL1, you would have a decent amount of funding to get something similar to your XL1. And as the HV40 can convert to SD, you can record in HD with a Z5 or FX1000 and keep your editing rig as it is for the time being.
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Many thanks, Arthur, for your helpful reply. I had assumed you have the choice to record in either HD or SD; I didn't realise that the HV40 records in HD and then you have the option to download in either HD or SD. Very useful facility indeed.

Thanks also, Billy. I Just mentioned in passing that, among my Canon camcorders, I had an XL2 (which records in true broadcastable high-resolution 16:9) to put in perspective why I am currently editing on SD equipment. Your addition info is much appreciated.

Does anyone know if there are any other Canon camcorders currently available that also provide the option of downloading in ither either HD or SD? (I mention Canon because I am a Canon devotee. I like the fact that the camera controls are practically the same from model to model, be it an XL2, HV40, or even my sturdy and ancient pet, the MV750i.

Ian
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

One further query for Arthur and/or Billy.

The official Canon site for the HV40 states:
1. Camcorder Sensor Resolution: 2.96 Mpix
2. Camcorder Effective Video Resolution: 2.07 Mpix

Can anyone tell me, accurately or by a guesstimate, what 1. and 2. translate to when an HD recording is downloaded in SD?

Thanks.

Ian
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

I see that Ian has an XL2 not an XL1 and the XL2 handles 16:9 very well as it is equipped with a full 1/3 inch 16:9 ccd block, see http://www.dvinfo.net/canonxl2/articles/article06.php for an explanation. I am in the same position as Ian with an XL2 and an HV40 and use both in 16:9 SD modes. They match very well.

Chris
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Thanks, Chris, it's good to know that someone else is in exactly the same position as I intend to be when I buy the HV40. I am really pleased to hear the XL2 and the HV40 match each other perfectly in SD mode.

Q: Does the HV40 provide an option to record in either HD or SD?

I'm a bit confused because Arthur says "The Canon Legria HV40 records in HD and can download either HD or SD." Does this mean, Arthur, that you can ONLY record in HD mode on the camera and not have a choice of HD or SD?

Sorry to be labouring this point, but it is really important to me to know before I lay out around £800 for the HV40. (As far as I can see, it is not possible to buy this camcorder, new, cheaper than this...or is it?)

Ian
billyfromConsett

I must get my eyes tested guys! :oops:

But seriously, it's good to know how the two Canon's match in SD. We bought a Canon HV30 for our film club and have only used its HDV mode, but those high def pictures also compare well what my Z5 can do - in good light anyhow.

The only thing about the HV30 (not sure the HV40 compares) which could do with some help is the wide angle part of the zoom. It could do with a wide angle lens for indoor stuff.
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

The HV40 zoom also needs some help at the wide angle end, the shortest focal length only being equivalent to 43.6mm in the 35mm format. As I already owned a pair of Sony conversion lenses, I use the x0.6 wide angle adaptor on the HV40 and measurements show that this does properly increase the angle so that the field covered is multiplied by about 1.6 linear, presumably equivalent to about 26mm on a 35mm still camera.

The Sony conversion lens has a 37mm mount, whereas the HV40 mount is 43mm, so a step ring is required. Surprisingly this causes no noticable vignetting even at the widest angle and zooms right through the 10x range. The matching Sony tele converter works equally well at the tele end.

Chris
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Thanks for the info about the wide-angle issue with the HV40. I had read about this problem and I was wondering how it might be overcome. I'd be lost without a good w/a option. (I've been spoiled by the XL2's amazing w/a lens!)

But I am still curious to know if the camera can record in both HD and SD, or whether (as Arthur said) it records only only in HD but you can download in wither SD or HD. What's the answer?

Ian
billyfromConsett

For what it's worth, the HV30 records in HDV and DV. The DV options are either in 4:3 or 16:9.

I have no advantage in recordng in DV mode though, as the cam converts in-camera if I want to edit in DV.
chrisk

Post by chrisk »

The HV40 has the same options as the HV30. As I do not yet use HD I prefer to record in SD so that the tapes are compatible with those taken on other cameras and can be played back for capture through a DV deck. Presumably if recorded in HDV then playback with conversion must be done through the camera - not always convenient specially for club productions.

If you want details of the HV40, the full user manual can be seen here, albeit the US NTSC version, but mostly the same. http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/contr ... dDetailAct

I agree about the XL2 wide angle lens, I dont think any adaptor will be as good

Chris
Ian Woodward

Post by Ian Woodward »

Thanks again, Billy and Chris.

I haven't yet bought the MV40 - I'll be ding this online tomorrow - but I do agree with the notion that it is preferable to record in SD in the first place because it will be compatible with the various other things I do in SD.

I'll take a look at the Canon link, Chris, after I've sent this.

Much appreciated.

Ian
tom hardwick

Post by tom hardwick »

I don't know of any HDV camcorder that won't allow you to record in 16:9 HDV or to record in 16:9 or 4:3 DV. All of them will downconvert on the fly as well, though generally the camcorder in-built down-converters are pretty cheap and cheerful afairs and the conversion is best done in hardware in any decent NLE system.

Chris's point about shooting in the DV mode is a good one - it means tapes can be played back in far more equipment and dropouts are far less damaging. If you film in the DV mode the downconversion is still being done in camera of course - but this time between chips and tape.

I've been impressed by Canon's HV series of HDV camcorders. The big CMOS chip does well, though as has been noted it's not so hot in low light and the camera cries out for a decent wide-angle converter.

The CMOS rolling shutter effects are very noticeable on this camera and any fast pans and use where electronic flash is being fired will spoil the footage.

tom.
ned c

Post by ned c »

I had an HV30, unfortunately stolen, used it with the Raynox HD 0.7 w/a adaptor with excellent results. I also have a Canon XH A1 and the two intercut perfectly. The A1 will record DV 4:3 and DV 16:9 as well as HDV. When shooting in HDV we can output to an SD monitor and get a nice 16:9 picture. The set up selection for this camera is enormously wide and presets can be memorised. I previously used a Canon XL1s so have become a Canon supporter. However, I also have a Panasonic 100 which shoots to SDHC cards at full HD, a tiny camera with brilliant results. (I am in NTSC/1080 60 land)

ned c