Copying commercial VHS tapes to PC

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
stubie

Copying commercial VHS tapes to PC

Post by stubie »

Can anyone dare tell me how to copy bought VHS films, that are protected, to a PC
so that a DVD may be produced.
I have copied my personal VHS tapes quite easily, it's the commercial ones that are a
problem.
Dave Watterson

Re: Copying commercial VHS tapes to PC

Post by Dave Watterson »

"Dare"? It is a breach of copyright to copy these VHS tapes to DVD but I doubt if anyone would care when you are doing it for your own use.

You need a device between the VHS recorder and the DVD recorder. One such is DVD Red PRO which you can read about here: http://www.xdimax.com/dvd/dvdredpro.html - they ship world-wide. Scroll down to the diagram which shows how to set it up.

Sima SED-CM CopyMaster is often mentioned and its big-brother which also provides colour correction, but I have not found a supplier.

- Dave
stubie

Post by stubie »

Thanks Dave for the info.

You are quite right about copyright and I would be in trouble
if I were to sell the copies after. But they are films that I purchased myself and would like to transfer them to disc.
This is a problem that many people have now that they no longer own a VCR.
It is a sad fact of life that we honest folk have to suffer this problem
in order for the law to stop a few bad apples.

Stubie
granfer

Post by granfer »

I use a JVC SVHS/VHS machine connected to a Panasonic DVD Recorder via S-Video connecting lead.
I have not yet found a problem with any commercial VHS tape when transferring to DVD. I've so far copied about 45.
However, using the same DVD recorder, attempts to copy DVDs via RGB connection are usually refused.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Some notes I have seen suggest NOT having a tv in the loop when trying to copy. It is possible that the VCR and DVD recorder may communicate, but if the signal goes to a television set the copy-protection kicks in. I don't know why this should be so or if it is only an urban myth!
- Dave
stubie

Post by stubie »

I have a Panasonic SVHS VCR connected directly to my PC and all I get is the audio
and just a grey picture.
I have tried capturing the commercial tape on Mini dv tape in my camera but get the same
result.
A DVD recorder linked up to the SVHS VCR seems to be the answer, but is this the cheapest
option.

Stubie
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Can I just check a couple of points:

a) are you sure you are copying a PAL tape?
b) are you connecting the picture part of the dignal using an S-VHS lead? (Small din plug connectors as opposed to aerial-type or RCA phono-plugs.)

- Dave
stubie

Post by stubie »

To answer your questions Dave:
The tapes are definitely PAL
and I connect the SVHS VCR and the PC with
an S-Video lead and red and white phonos for sound.
I am not sure what an SVHS lead is?
As I have said this set-up works perfectly with my personal tapes.

Stubie
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I should have said S-video lead ... sorry careless of me.

Hmm. The grey picture was what made me wonder about NTSC tape because that often plays on PAL sets but without the colour. I have not come across a copy protection system which does that. The usual Macrovision inserts pulses in the lines of the video image which are not shown - these upset the automatic gain control of the receiving device. What you need to do is cut off those lines. A device which does this may be called a video stabilizer ... there are a couple on eBay at this moment ... expect to pay about £50.

If you are an electronic hobbyist this site http://www.aaroncake.net/CIRCUITS/macrovision.asp gives a circuit you could build yourself. Those who know the field reckon this is simple and cheap.

But that grey picture bothers me. My technical expertise is very limited. Can anyone else suggest a solution?
- Dave

stubie

Post by stubie »

Hi Dave
Thanks for help and suggestions.
Well I've looked at the two tapes that I want to transfer and they are definitely
PAL. I have been looking at the HQ Macro-Plus Copy Decoder
from Amazon priced at £17.75. The reviews are certainly mixed.
It seems that it either works or it doesn't - no half measures!
The majority make direct copies from VCR to DVD recorders.
It would be interesting to know the result of connection from VCR to PC and then
burnt to DVD.
I wonder if any IAC members have had success with this Decoder?

Stubie
granfer

Post by granfer »

Off topic, but thrown in for information...

Copying from commercial DVD to DVD via computer... DVD Shrink version 3.2 is brilliant.
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

Ulead Videostudio 10 will allow copying from a vhs player through the scart or RCA connections via digital converter staight into the pc. Studio 11plus can see the copy protection but 10 doesn't.
Go into the edit part of the software and click on the capture tab and it will then select the source automatically.

I had to find this process to capture films for our festival. It's only used as last resort but if we have to go through that process the entrant isn't allowed to enter the following year because it's againt our rules. No copy protected discs folkies if you're submitting to The Big Gig, Cheers.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I like the notion of spending £60 or so for Ulead Videostudio - you could pass it on to a youngster in the family as a very good editing package ... after copying your tapes.
- Dave

PS Yea for DVD Shrink which I've used for years. Just watch the stuff that comes with it and ALWAYS run your anti-virus checker over any downloaded file before running it.

Michael Slowe

Post by Michael Slowe »

I find that the best quality is obtained by transferring the VHS tapes to Mini DV with a decent DV deck. Then I ingest the material into my edit system, put it on a timeline, maybe add a few titles or tidy things up a bit and export in my usual way and make a DVD using BitVice and DVD Studio Pro. This way I know the DVD will play in any machine and oddly enough the quality seems better having gone to DV, don't know why. I find that the 'desk top' DVD recorders are not as good as my method, their bit rate is set too low and they don't always play everywhere.
stubie

Post by stubie »

I have managed to obtain a WinTV PVR2 by Hauppauge and can now transfer my
commercially bought tapes to computer and then produce a DVD.
Thanks to all those who have posted information about this subject.

Stubie