mic. adapter for Sony camcorder

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Roy

mic. adapter for Sony camcorder

Post by Roy »

I am currently using a Sony HDR-HC3 HDV camcorder. It's my first Sony and I bought it because I have heard glowing reports about Sony image quality. I heard right, it is brilliant without paying a fortune. This is the reason I want to continue using it if I can. I make that proviso because this camcorder has a problem for me in that it has no external mic input. It has a hot shoe which allows Sony's own external mic to be used, but all the reviews I have read report that the Sony external mics are not that good or at least not as good as the Seinheiser I want to use. Image my joy when I discovered that Sony have the VMC-K100 microphone adapter which allows you to use any external Mic. with the camcorder. Imagine my dismay when I was told that Sony no longer supply this adapter. Cynics would say that Sony have supplied most of their Camcorders without an Ext Mic input in order to sell their own brand of ext. mics. But on looking into the matter further I note that nearly all other Camcorder Manufacturers are not putting Ext Mic inputs on most of the products. However perhaps all is not lost as an American firm is offering the" Pearstone Mic. Adapter for Sony Hot shoe". It retails at $49 which is reasonable but the shipping costs start at $50, so the product has to be the right choice. An American forum praises the product and says it is similiar to the Sony adapter. Does anybody know about the Pearson product and is there any company in the UK supplying it. Any news or observations will be appreciated. Roy
billyfromConsett

Re: mic. adapter for Sony camcorder

Post by billyfromConsett »

I thought a Hague adaptor would work but it won't.
Last edited by billyfromConsett on Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
granfer

Post by granfer »

I think the problem is not one that can be solved by using the Hague Adapters, which appear to be a simple MECHANICAL adaptation of the the Sony SMALL Hot Shoe to accept a STANDARD size accessory.
It's the HOT function that needs adapting to become an EXTERNAL connector.
Roy

Post by Roy »

I have now purchased the mic adapter from New York. It arrived in three days and works okay. Acyually it is better than the Sony version as it has another shoe on the top of the unit so you can mount the mic. on the camera. You can't do this with the Sony Mic. adapter.. Roy
billyfromConsett

Post by billyfromConsett »

Nice one Roy. Shopping in New York!
jackjill

Post by jackjill »

Hello friends,
I have purchased mic adapter from magic mic sing along. It is working properly so i am happy with that. Before buying new mic adapter I had also used Sony mic adapter,it was not working properly.

Regards

Jack Jill
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Jack Jill. I've looked on the web site of Magic Mic Sing along and can't find the mic adapter you refer to, can you giver me details of the product as a friend is looking for one. I am perfectly happy with the Pearstone but if yours is the same type of adapter and is cheaper he will be interested. I don't think it is the same thing somehow. Cheers Roy
jackjill

Post by jackjill »

Hi cheers,
Not to worry...!Adapter is over there in site, it seems u didn't see properly anyways,just go in accessories option in site which i had given, u will find many adapters there.

Thanks

Regards
Jack Jill
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Ah ... I had my suspicions, but now they are confirmed by a couple of anti-spam and anti-bot web databases ... Jack Jill is just shilling for (promoting) the website. So s/he is banned. We try to keep known spammers off these forums.

But for the sake of serious readers who may be able to help, I think there is a misunderstanding here.

The adapters Jack Jill was talking about are power adapters. Roy was talking about devices which clip onto the "hot-shoe" of a video camera so that a better microphone can be used than the built-in one. (I know "hot shoe" is not the correct term but you know what I mean!)

Can anyone help Roy?

- Dave
granfer

Post by granfer »

Doesn't it make you sick?....... and I can tolerate poor English from people it's not first language to, but rubbish text-speak on a Forum? Ugh!!
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Dave. Actually you are probally right to use the term "HOT SHOE" as Sony refers to their product as such.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Companies like Maplin (www.maplin.co.uk) sell adapters and cables which link XLR connections to phono plugs or USB plugs at prices from about £10 to £20. One of those would allow you to connect you microphone directly to a computer - perhaps to record voice-overs - or to a camcorder which has a phono-socket.
- Dave