Am I really that stupid!!!

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Tony Grant

Am I really that stupid!!!

Post by Tony Grant »

I have just wasted a day and a sleepless night with a problem that’s solution was so simple and the answer came to me in what I can only describe as a dream in the small hours of this morning.

A client asked me to make MOV and WMV files of a recent classical concert “no problem” I said. I made the files and on both my computers they played back with
perfect sound and as perfect a picture as the requested 480x270 would allow.

Now the problem, in order to send them to the client I made a DATA DVD. When I tried the files that had been copied to DVD the sound was rubbish as was the images.

One whole day I worried about this I even thought about going out and buying a cheap ‘stick’ for my client. And then I had this dream the postman delivered
a letter, I took it from the mail box and asked him to open it.

Yes it was as simple as that. The DVD is carrying the message, MOV and WMV files and it has to be opened into a file on the computer not played from the file in the DVD.

I should have bought a real ‘stick’ and beaten myself with it. I can not believe how stupid I was and perhaps still am.

Another new year’s solution THINK before ACT after.

Tony
Tony Grant

Re: Am I really that stupid!!!

Post by Tony Grant »

Also learn to cheque speling, ACTING.

:roll:
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Maybe I'm being stupid ... but what is the difference? A computer file is a computer file. Whether it plays from CD, DVD, memory-stick or hard drive should make no difference ...

Dave
Tony Grant

Post by Tony Grant »

Hi Dave

To be honest neither do I but the fact is that that was the solution. I have made hundreds of MOV and WMV files before but this time as I was making 11 separate clips for the client I thought I should test a couple just to make sure. In the past I have tested before making the DATA file, then just noted that the file had loaded onto the DVD and delivered to the client or sent it by 'You sendit".

Cost of mistake.

1. Concerned telephone calls to my partner in crime at peak rates.
2. Hours of worry.
3. Remade 11 clips at least 6 times.
4. I missed a programme I wanted to see on TV and forgot to record it.
5. Sleepless night.
6. Telephone call to Edius in London at peak rates.
7. Made 8 trial DVD's that I did not need.
8. Added extra costs to the job by up-grading to NERO pro.
9. Spent day in the “dog house” after unpleasant words about dinner and cold food.

And I am one of the people who complain about being called an AMATEUR!!!!!!!

Tony

PS. Only bonus is that I will have to buy another bottle of whisky today and celebrate.