What would you like from Santa's sack?

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Dave Watterson

What would you like from Santa's sack?

Post by Dave Watterson »

Assuming all forum readers have been good girls and boys, deserving the best of new movie-making toys this Christmas ... what would be your ideal presents for Christmas 2009?
- Dave the Curious
Willy

Re: What would you like from Santa's sack?

Post by Willy »

Dave Watterson wrote:
what would be your ideal presents for Christmas 2009?
- Dave the Curious

A book with short and simple, so not too complicated stories that may give me inspiration for a new movie. Things that may happen today. Not science fiction stories because I hate them. No historic stories that happened let's say more than 50 years ago because then I need costumes. Not stories with too many people in them because I am a non-commercial filmmaker who makes films without sponsorship or any budget. Does anyone know the title of a book with such modern short stories ? Of course I must not exaggerate again. I already have some projects for 2010. This year I also found inspiration in internet stories (letters) written by people like you and me. Maybe you can give me a hint.

I guess that most friends here think of new cameras and editing machines because the threads on this IAC-forum about technical things seem to be more popular.
Willy Van der Linden
ned c

Post by ned c »

Hi Willy, if you haven't all ready read them have a look at H. E. Bates short stories. As an Anglophile you will enjoy them any way and there are lots of ideas there, still in copyright but good interesting characters and situations.

I lost my Canon HV20 and would like to get it back!!

ned c
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

There is a book Willy, well worth a read. It is not a book of scripts or shorts stories, but an insight on how to fire the imagination. I found it while poking around in my local library in Warwickshire quite a few years ago.

It was a little black book with gold lettering! What was the title? I can’t remember! And it was written a few years ago in the heyday of cine. But it is, I believe just as valid today. I seem to remember that the authors name was Ivor Watson, who in his life time was an acclaimed short film maker. I am sure that this name, if I have it right, may trigger the memory of some other members and give you the title.

The book tells of how, when gazing at a blank piece of paper, uninspired, how to kick-start an idea.

If no-one comes up with the name of the book, I will do some digging myself. It is, as I say, well worth a read anytime.

With regard to that Santa’s gift I would put on my shopping list, not a super HD3D latest wiz bang camera.

After an attempt film something in the centre of Lyon on Saturday. I would like a bit of kit which has proper switches and knobs. It was cold, very cold and frozen fingers and fiddly buttons do not go together, especially when trying to manually adjust a camera.
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

I suspect Paddy is talking about the "Manual of Successful Movie Making" by Ivan Watson. "Uncle Ivan" was a well-known and popular journalist writing for Movie Maker magazine in its various guises where he worked with Tony Rose and John Wright. The three of them ran the famous "Moviemaker Ten Best" contest. Ivan is reputed to have christened Kodak's new baby "Super-8".

The book was written decades ago, but updated by Tony Schapps of the Widescreen Centre for the video age. It used to be available from the Widescreen Centre but I cannot find it now on their website. It might be worth a phone call to check. It is available from the USA through http://www.instant-movie-making.com/indexsignedup.html
- Dave
Willy

Post by Willy »

Many thanks for your hints, my friends. I remember "Darling Buds of May", but that was long ago. In a few days I will have to go to the library to avoid any penalties. H.E. Bates must be an auhor whose works have been translated in many languages, but I prefer the English versions, this to practise my English, but also to enjoy the English/British atmosphere. Winter time is the best time to prepare a film (reading books, doing research work, etc...). Also your ideas seem to be very interesting, Paddy and Dave.

There is still an other thing that I would like to have from Santa Claus : a bag full of computer knowledge. I am a big zero when working with a computer. I have nothing between my ears when working with it. I can only work with a casablanca. Forgive me, anti-casablanca-filmmakers ! Sometimes I think I am too old to be a dab hand at working with a computer. My grand-son knows more than me. I hate guides about the functions and components of computers, fridges, cars, etc... Everything must be so simple. I like simplicity in everything.
Willy Van der Linden
Brian Saberton

Post by Brian Saberton »

Ivan Watson wrote a couple of other books namely: "What shall I Film?" and "Sound Sense for Movie Makers" which were published by Focal Press
Brian Saberton
FILM THURSO

Post by FILM THURSO »

I'm not asking Santa for much this year but it won't fit in his sack and I'll have to keep my mouth shut in case I don't get it! :shock:
fraught

Post by fraught »

Santa has come early for me... I recently picked up the Canon 7D DSLR, which has the built in Full HD 1080p Video Facility. Been playing with it, and the results are amazing! As soon as my current two productions are finished, i'll be shoot in 1080p HD going forward. :-)
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Pqtrick

Post by Pqtrick »

I imagine that Santa has already embarked on his long route from toy-land. A last minute wish would have been for an Apple-Mac computer with a full array of its dedicated software. I think I believe in Santa more than I do Bill Gates now. My 'Pee Cee' as they are aptly called out here, is just not playing ball at all.

I note that the IAC site has entered the festive spirit by adding falling snow flakes to its home page – or is it just reflecting the current UK weather? :)

Joyeux Noel.