You Tube oddity

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Peter Stedman

You Tube oddity

Post by Peter Stedman »

Of recent weeks I have been putting several short clips onto You Tube. generally with no problem as they are short. However, in the most recent uploads instead of getting the usual SUCCESS block that comes up, I get the word ERROR. The strange thing is that the clip uploaded is there and plays OK so far as I can see.

Any ideas on this? Perhaps, as usual, it's all my fault. :?
Pete
tom hardwick

Re: You Tube oddity

Post by tom hardwick »

What file format are you uploading to YouTube, Peter? Generally YouTube takes some time to re-encode your film, so it may report an error until it's been re-encoded to suit their servers.

If it looks good in the end then all is well, yes?
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

This thread looked like the best location for our problem.

At our club we have been making our first forays into YouTube and we are a little, (nay, a lot), confused by the settings required in Adobe Media Encoder CS4. We wish to produce .mp4 files for either standard definition 4 x 3 or standard definition 16 x 9.

From the number of member’s videos on YouTube and Vimeo we must be travelling over well trodden ground. This therefore is a plea for advice. I thought that if we describe the settings we have chosen then some experienced member might be persuaded to either confirm them or correct them.

Starting from the point where we have imported the .avi file into Adobe Media Encoder, the settings we have chosen are as follows:-

Format: H.264
Preset: Custom

We leave the ‘Filters’ and ‘Multiplexer’ settings at default values.

Video we set at:-

PAL
Frame width (pixels): 720
Frame height (pixels): 576
Frame rate: 25
Field order: Lower
Pixel aspect ratio: Widescreen 16:9 or Standard 4:3 depending on the media.
Profile: Main
Level: 3.1

Bitrate settings:-

Bitrate encoding: CBR
Bitrate: 6

Audio we set at:-

Codec AAC
Output channels: Stereo

Frequency: 48kHz
Audio quality: High

Bitrate settings:-

Bitrate: 64kbps (default)

Advanced settings:-

Precedence: Frequency (default)

We were a little surprised that the 4 x 3 and the 16 x 9 aspect ratios were the same at 720 x 576 but after a little research found that the pixel aspect ratios are made different to compensate. (ie 4 x 3 pixels are 16:15 and 16 x 9 pixels are 64:45).

Arthur
Roy1

Post by Roy1 »

Hi Arthur. Click on YouTube handbook URL Below. You will be able to click onto best formats for uploading as well as tips.

http://www.youtube.com/t/yt_handbook_produce Regards Roy
fraught

Post by fraught »

Peter Stedman wrote:Of recent weeks I have been putting several short clips onto You Tube. generally with no problem as they are short. However, in the most recent uploads instead of getting the usual SUCCESS block that comes up, I get the word ERROR. The strange thing is that the clip uploaded is there and plays OK so far as I can see.

Any ideas on this? Perhaps, as usual, it's all my fault. :?
Pete
Hi Pete, what Anti-Virus do you use? I use AVG 9.0 Free Edition, and i was getting errors uploading to YouTube. Turning the Anti-Virus off then allows me to upload fine. Worth a try.
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Arthur - you don't tell us what - if any - problems you have had with the work processed in this way.

Essentially anything for YouTube must be less than 10 minutes long and the file you upload must be less than 2Gb in size.

NO PROBLEM APPROACH
Any standard definition AVI file of a film less than 8 minutes 59 seconds (whether 4:3 or 16:9) needs no processing because it will be less than 2Gb, so you can just upload it as it is.
The catch is that can take several hours, but it is something you only have to do once.

FAIRLY SIMPLE APPROACH
Most PCs have Windows Moviemaker on them - or can get it by downloading from Microsoft free of charge - Any film less than 10 minutes long can be imported into Moviemaker and saved ... choose the output option for "Web" and when faced with more choices pick "DSL cable modem...". The resulting wmv file will be much smaller than the original. You can usually upload that to YouTube in less than half an hour.

There are more notes on the main website: http://www.theiac.org.uk/resources/web- ... intro.html and we are experimenting with various settings to get the best.

I would not turn off your anti-virus system - otherwise your computer would be at risk. But I do turn off the automatic updates option on my anti-virus program (Bullguard) during uploads.

- Dave
ADBest

Post by ADBest »

Dave

The problem with the club YouTube uploads was not clearly understood. I produced .mp4 files in Encore using what I thought to be the most appropriate settings and sent them off to my friend Brian who runs the club web site.

He then tried to upload them to YouTube sending me the following comment on his efforts.

Arthur

Thanks for the latest dvd. The smaller files were obviously quicker to upload. However, the end result was unacceptable as although each played fine on my Imac, there was lots of blurring and pixilation on Youtube. I've therefore imported them into the iMac, then saved them in the .m4v format which appears to have worked ok. Perhaps you could check and let me know if they play ok on your set-up.

I was then pointed to the H264 format by Billy Ellwood and subsequently produced a new set of files using the settings I described in my previous post. My aim was simply to obtain comments on the settings I had chosen.

My pathetic Broadband download speed of about 0.3 Mb per second, (it takes me about 10 minutes to download and view a 5 minute SD video), means that I cannot get involved in YouTube activities myself.

I think we are getting there but comments on my Encore settings would still be welcome.

Arthur
fraught

Post by fraught »

Someone has made a handy video about AVG issues when uploading... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIePLiGEv1k
Only Boring People Get Bored
http://www.fraught.net
Dave Watterson

Post by Dave Watterson »

Just to add further confusion ... the mighty Google has announced a new, free, high-quality format for online video. It is open source and is already being supported by Mozilla (Firefox), Opera and of course Google's Chrome browser.

Since Google own YouTube this is likely to become the new standard.
The system is very new and still being tested but you can find out more at: http://www.webmproject.org/

- Dave