BRAVO gILL bATES

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
Pqtrick

BRAVO gILL bATES

Post by Pqtrick »

Any computer experts out there? These wretched machines should work in the background, be more efficient than pencil and paper and let us do our work without hassle or hindrance. But do they?

The system arrives at a point where you find it necessary to re-install it completely for a fresh start – fresh start, he says. How many times have I done that?

Upon completing this operation, all my files, photos video and the like are saved on an external drive. But then I find that passwords info and sign ons [thanks Dave] are all lost, if not in my little blue book.

But than after all this, are things any better? Well no not really, another batch of problems start. Is there a tin of ‘cold start’ available for computers?

I have reinstalled everything [Win XP] as methodically as I can, and up to Service Pack 3. Then the first bit of software which does not work is Microsoft Word as something is missing – its does not tell me what.

Then programmes will not launch properly and the whole system freezes. It is cured almost every time by a brutal turn off at the main switch and at the second re-launch seems to be OK. But it is still a bit ‘iffy’ at times.

I hope I am not alone. I am in the throes of editing something and I have reached the point when the whole apparatus may find out itself, how long it takes to reach the ground from the first floor, directly through the window!

I pretend that I know what I am doing. But most is following instructions, doing what I have done before and trial and error until I reach the point where if it’s not broke don’t fix it.

If anyone our there has any ideas it would be appreciated but if not, even the odd commiseration in solidarity would be useful!
Stephen

Re: BRAVO gILL bATES

Post by Stephen »

this continual update malarky can certainly spoil the positives in the PC world :shock:

its something that has been the norm for the last few years and unfortunately while we have the microsh@te monopoly it will not change.... ... but all is not lost...

a couple of years down the line we need not worry about such things... google the likes of 'Google Wave' (the yootoob 45 min vid is an eye opener!), the release of Chrome etc are all leading us to OS stored on server farms and the superfluous ownership of software at home.
No updates, vir@s checkers utilities on your PC... not required... its all coming down that copper wire !!!... or if you are tres lucky like those of us in the east end of Newcastle, optic fibre!!! 50Mb Tinternet connections available now !

in the meantime get your machine fitted with a caddy system and keep a freshly made up and loaded HDD in the cupboard. anything happens your back up and running in minutes.
1TB HDDs available now in a caddy for 65 sobs.

keep in there!!!!!
Stephen

Film making is not a matter of Life and Death
It's much more important than that.
ned c

Re: BRAVO gILL bATES

Post by ned c »

A colleague in Argentina who operates a sound studio uses PCs in a network and upgraded to Windows 7. He recently experienced a crash that took out the Bios which had to be re-written. The cause is not known but will let you all know when it is traced.

ned c