tv default to 4x3 screen

A forum to share ideas and opinions on the equipment and technical aspects of film, video and AV making.
lindencot

tv default to 4x3 screen

Post by lindencot »

when I create film using pinnacle I burn to dvd disc using nero. using sony dvd player to panasonic and samsung tv all is ok, however when I show on unknown tv we use for information at bowls club I have to set screen format to 16x9 but when tv is switched off it defaults back to 4x3, every time I turn tv on I have to change set up to 16x9.
there is no problem when showing commercial dvd's.
If club tv is not switched off but dvd player is then all is ok it' only when tv is switched off.
The tv was bought on internet.
we had a proline player for 2 years running 14 hours a day but my film was breaking up, pixel loss and picture stopping so we bought sony player.
would appreciate any help. only answer I can think of is to buy another proline player.
Dave Watterson

Re: tv default to 4x3 screen

Post by Dave Watterson »

I suspect the problem may be in the video information coming from your disc. After all if it works as expected with commercial DVDs the problem must lie in your ones somewhere. There is a signal in the video data which among other things tells the world the format to use. My guess is that yours is shouting "4x3" and so the tv is doing what it is told.

I don't have Pinnacle but I believe that in the Setup menu you can select project preferences. Make sure those are set to 16:9. When you prepare the final film for burning make sure it is marked 16:9. (In Premiere you do that my right-clicking on it in the timeline and using the "interpret" option.)

Nero may also modify the image ratio ... check around in its settings. I burn in Adobe Encore and that too lets you "interpret" the footage so I make sure it knows the film is 16:9.

As for that unknown brand of TV in the bowls club - it may have a menu somewhere which lets you specify that it should go to 16:9 by default rather than 4:3. Possibly the club prefers it on 4:3 because so much tv is still in that format. If you can get your video stream to shout "16:9" it should be fine and change automatically.

- Dave
granfer

Post by granfer »

I'm a TV engineer in one of my many manifestations. Can you please clarify what you are saying about the TV "defaulting to 4:3 when switched off"?
Are you saying that if the TV is showing a 16:9 ratio before it is switched off, when it is switched back on it displays in 4:3, even if there is no input signal to it of any kind (no aerial signal and no AV signal)? If so, it is a problem related specifically to the TV and not the DVD player.
Is it a Wide-screen (16:9) TV? If so, when it reverts to 4:3 does the picture fill the full width of the screen and suffer cut-off at top and bottom, or is the picture a 4:3 shape in the centre with gaps at the side?
Or is it a Normal 4:3 TV which , when in 16:9 mode, has gaps at top and bottom?
What make and model is the TV? Does the Club have an Instruction Manual?
lindencot

Post by lindencot »

thanks for help. when tv is switched to standby when in 16x9 it reverts to 4x3 when switched back on again. with dvd player off screen is blank no bars at all, when dvd player switched on sony logo page is 4x3 bars at side. there is no tv input at all only scart. tv is Vistron wide screen lcd flat panel bought on internet I heard they were Chinese imports no tech back up or spares. Have to reset tvscreen ratio to 16x9 every time switched back on. it is swittched off at the end of day, tv and player accessed by steps so remotes used. cannot understand why I can play my info.dvd discs on my samsung and panasonic hdd at home no problems.
now using sony DVP-SR90 player at club. when using Proline DVD 260 last year all worked ok. but that one is saying "wrong disc" or pixels break up or just wont start, have it at home now. commercial dvd's play fine, doesnt seem to like my dvd,s created in Pinnacle and burnt with Nero, but playok on other players??????

Thanks
granfer

Post by granfer »

Vistron is a reputable electronics firm that produces products for a number of manufacturers, but not usually with their own name on. I think the solution to your problem is going to lie in the Set-up Menus for the TV, which is why I asked if the Club in question could produce an Instruction Book. Failing that, you need someone who can navigate the menus, make the correct settings and do whatever is needed to SAVE those settings.
Unfortunately, the number of people able to properly understand modern technology is inversely proportional to the number of new technologies emerging!

If you can find the Instructions and send me (PM or email) a scan of the section on Aspect Ratios, I will try to advise further.
Mike Shaw

Post by Mike Shaw »

We have a small digital TV in the kitchen that always reverts back to 4:3 when switched off. I have been through the menus and set everything up for 16:9, saved everythiong, read the manual backwards and forwards etc etc etc, but to no availl. So, being lazy and unwilling to buy yet another tv for the house (I think we probably have around 96* at the moment ....), we now watch squished up TV whilst performing kitchen chores. Too many systems, too many standards, too many channels. Gone are the days of 6" b/w screens, and only one station to worry about... (oh how i miss seeing Lady Windermere's Fan at 11 o clock every the morning... those were the days).

* Slight exageration - I think its only 87.